Diving with strangers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having done a number of things against my gut feeling, and living to regret it, I can't in good conscience tell you to go anyway. That being said, if the issue is an instabuddy, take Basking Ridge Diver's advice and call the outfit, they may know who doesn't have a buddy and get you together with someone compatible, and you can talk over the phone to them and discuss the dive.

I normally dive solo, so with any instabuddy dive I know it won't be my usual dive, and I have the experience to babysit if it is necessary. Most of my instabuddy dives have been way better than I envisioned before I went, so I will continue to go, even if I have the "glass half empty" feeling leading up to the trip.

Good Luck

Bob
------------------------------
Oh, oh it’s a dangerous world Jimmy Buffett

If you are going with the guys on S Padre, they are pretty upfront with people about the level of ability required. I would expect the other divers to be somewhat vetted. They are also honest about addressing any concerns you might have. Give them a call.

If you are going with the guys on S Padre, ...
American Diving? Great bunch!
... Most of my instabuddy dives have been way better than I envisioned before I went, so I will continue to go ...
I have to agree.

In addition, I've met some of the coolest divers that way.

OP: Don't cheat yourself. If you are up to the dive as planned, just go with it. Your ongoing DM training puts you in a position of being able to aid your bud, doesn't it? You should be able to take care of yourself at this point.

Some pointers from my blog entry here on SB regarding what makes a good dive buddy. Read the whole blog entry for more information.

What Makes a Good Dive Buddy?

...Some people seem to think that getting in the water about the same time as your buddy and staying in the same ocean as they are constitutes buddy diving. They are wrong. To be a good dive buddy, someone with who other people enjoy diving and look forward to diving with in the future, you should take being a buddy a bit more seriously.

A good dive buddy stays close to his or her dive partner all the time....
A good dive buddy not only stays in close proximity to their dive partner, they are aware of their buddy’s location and activity, direction of travel if moving, and can perceive any problems, confusion, unease, or distress a buddy may exhibit as it occurs or just moments after...Pay attention to your buddy. Look around and mark your buddy’s' location and activity regularly, in fact, often, and better still, constantly.
A good dive buddy will get acquainted with his diving partner before the dive. Sometimes we get paired up with a stranger, what some call an “insta-buddy.” When that happens, you need to get to know each other as divers. Talk to each other. Learn about each other’s experience level and last dive. Clarify the communications you will use and agree as to proximity and other buddy coordination. Discuss your objectives for the dive. Are you going to swim around like crazy people or focus on looking at the animals and their behaviors? If one or both are going to take pictures or video, discuss expectations you each have for staying close. When diving with a new buddy (or any buddy for that matter) a good dive buddy will be sure to sure to do a pre-dive safety check, familiarizing the team with each others equipment. Just like you learned to do in your basic scuba certification class. There is no need to dive with a stranger if you take a few minutes to plan together, learn bout each other and communicate about the dive. Too often, divers who are paired up by the divemaster or boat captain, or even those who may have selected each other as buddies, will introduce themselves to each other, and then be oblivious to each other throughout the dive. That is not a good idea. A dive buddy who appreciates the importance of that role will stay close, be aware of what is going on, never have a problem with buddy separation, and be there to share air, help his buddy get untangled from the kelp, notice symptoms of narcosis, and otherwise assist as needed.

Have a great dive experience.
DivemasterDennis

Will there be a DM on the trip, or someone else who knows the wreck in question?

Good question! I have gotten ZERO info from my dive shop about the trip.

Honestly, what are you expecting?

When I book a wreck I just get a seat on the boat, nothing more. I have to ask explicit questions if I want anything more than that. Look at it from the boat's point of view. They are taking you at your word. You are presenting yourself as a competent diver and they don't want to annoy you with scubasnob s**t.

I went ahead and cancelled before I came back and read your replies. Thanks for your input and I think I'll stick with the advice to follow my gut on such issues. I don't mind diving with strangers in general but the whole trip just wasn't adding up to meet my cost/benefit analysis. Plus, I did a quick lake dive yesterday (turned out to be solo) to work on determining my SAC rate and talked to a guy there. He said the boat that takes you out 15 miles from the Texas coast has a round bottomed hull. He said he'd been on many boats but he still puked. Just not enough to entice me to overlook the downsides.

Yes, the local dive shop that I've been using lately does have a diving club of sorts and I do plan to go join them more often. I do think getting more social with potential dive buddies and learning their skill levels would be a big plus.

Thanks again!

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2015 at 10:21 AM ----------

Honestly, what are you expecting?

When I book a wreck I just get a seat on the boat, nothing more. I have to ask explicit questions if I want anything more than that. Look at it from the boat's point of view. They are taking you at your word. You are presenting yourself as a competent diver and they don't want to annoy you with scubasnob s**t.

Don't know what "scubasnob s**t" means but thanks for your input nonetheless. It just wasn't for me, end of story.

Excessive handholding and looking down upon those who don't see the need to follow a scripted program. Opinion, not fact...

Find some buds and enjoy your diving once again. Do yourself a favor.

Find some buds and enjoy your diving once again. Do yourself a favor.

So what are you saying - you are going to find some new buds to dive with? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom