Diving with strangers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excessive handholding and looking down upon those who don't see the need to follow a scripted program. Opinion, not fact...

Find some buds and enjoy your diving once again. Do yourself a favor.

I enjoy my diving all the time... have for 24 years. Again, don't understand how "Excessive handholding and looking down upon those who don't see the need to follow a scripted program" fits in at all but so be it.

This was one incidence that I wanted to hear what others thought to help me sort it out in my own mind. It's never happened before but it's sorted out now. I'm going to continue to go with my gut feeling based on ALL factors involved. And, yes, I do think I'd simply enjoy it all more if I could find some local people to dive with. One reason I switched to a new dive shop to get my DM cert recently and plan to join them on their weekend outings.

Perhaps some of the protocols for solo or self reliant diving, such as a slung redundant air supply, could help to mitigate the questionability of a random buddy?

I'm also doing quite a bit of the insta-buddy thing. For dives that are more challenging than a warm-water reef bimble I like to dive my sidemount rig, where I'm fully redundant. If that's not an option, a slung pony gives me peace of mind. I may still have to baby sit insta-buddy, but so far none has been so bad that I didn't enjoy the dive. Some have been very delightful, actually.

I just happened to read this post from my dive shop's FB page. This just kind of struck a cord with me... would be nice to find someone like this. Can't have them around ALL the time but it would have been a game changer for the trip I cancelled.

I enjoy my diving all the time... have for 24 years. Again, don't understand how "Excessive handholding and looking down upon those who don't see the need to follow a scripted program" fits in at all but so be it.
Sorry, don't mind me. "Scuba snobbery" hits a raw nerve with me. My problem. I find snobbery to be divisive, elitist, and generally mean spirited. Best to just ignore what I said, I probably over-reacted...
This was one incidence that I wanted to hear what others thought to help me sort it out in my own mind.
SB is great for just that.
And, yes, I do think I'd simply enjoy it all more if I could find some local people to dive with. .
Go with that thought. :D
I just happened to read this post from my dive shop's FB page. This just kind of struck a cord with me... would be nice to find someone like this. Can't have them around ALL the time but it would have been a game changer for the trip I cancelled.
Exactly.

Have fun.

It's always a crap shoot if you're running solo. Do a good reconnoiter of the participants of the dive at the dive shop if you can. Try to get a look at their respective gear. Watch their body language around the shop and at the boat. Take note of how they set up their gear on the boat. This should give you some insight on their skill levels.

Safe dives . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents !

the K

I agree that diving 100ft or more is a bit different than just an ordinary dive with an instabuddy. I've had a few occasions when someone I knew to normally be a competent, relatively experienced diver just got a bit buggy when we were deep, or deep under ice or otherwise on a dive that wasn't just a bimble. I didn't appreciate their buggy behavior and I can just imagine how un-fun that kind of situation would be if I didn't even already know and generally trust the person.

It's good you went with your peace of mind. If you think God might be whispering in your ear, you should listen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom