Diving Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianS

Contributor
Reaction score
What is proper protocol if I were to boat out to a wreck in San Deigo to dive it, and I wanted to tie off to one of their moore's they have available? Is there some sort of reservation system to tie off or is it first come first serve or do certain company's own them?

First Come first serve ..if you bring a spear gun then of course you get first rights ...especially if there are any RIBs trying to tie off...:rofl3:

Brian. Joking aside ...whenever there are several boats waiting for a mooring bouy it is not a faux pa to ask if you could tie off to the lead boat. However if you dive longer than the lead guy you are essentially asking them to untie your boat and re-tie it to the bouy while you are diving ...just a thought

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

I just wanted to make sure they were not owned by someone.

The Yukon has 4 buoys- I believe only 3 of them are mooring buoys.. Chances are that you'll be able to snag one, but if not, the larger dive boats usually let you tie onto them.
Your best bet is just to get there early (prior to 7am)....

MissyP:
The Yukon has 4 buoys- I believe only 3 of them are mooring buoys.. Chances are that you'll be able to snag one, but if not, the larger dive boats usually let you tie onto them.
Your best bet is just to get there early (prior to 7am)....

Let me add that weekdays are the best to get out there... We took the boat to the Yukon yesterday & there wasn't a soul in sight (and there ARE 4 buoys).
Today, took the boat to the Ruby E (2 buoys), and the El Rey (1 buoy)- again, there wasn't another dive boat in sight...
Weekends, on the other hand, well.... expect some company!

Back
Top Bottom