DIY Can Light Head Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The design I have right now is 50mm long X 36mm diameter. If it weren't attached to a can, I'd lose it. I think I'm probably going to have to draw a bigger one up. :D

But it snowed today, so I got to play around indoors and practice 3D design and rendering.
Here's a quick rendering of the tiny head.

Eric

EGad-
The SST-90 has a big dome and a floody beam. Reflectors do not focus the beam very well. If you haven't done so, snoop around candelpowerforums.com and you'll find a lot of info. The best way to focus the SST-90 is with an aspheric lens, the bigger the better. Some Mag sized aspherics (50-ish mm) do the best job, but a guy on CPF has some smaller ones FS: Cheap Aspheric Lens - CandlePowerForums that do a fair job. I think Packhorse has used them. The Carclo lens I'm using works like an aspheric, but it's more compact, I think. It's been a while since I played with the different lens' and reflectors, but from memory, at 40' it produced a defined square beam about 15' square with no spill outside of that. The reflectors were all pretty floody.
By the way, the Ledil reflectors and the Carclo lens & holder are made to mount on an SSR-90 star. Overall size for the Ledil/SSR-90 is .893" dia X .605" H, Carclo/SSR-90 1.137" dia. X .681" H

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Not sure how I missed it on CPF earlier.

Update: I sketched up a quick head that uses a 50mm aspheric lens and has a pretty cool heatsink design to help with focal length issues and also make it a bit more modular, so new emitters can be swapped onto the heatsink and the remainder of the head can be used. I sketched it up for an SSR-90, but pretty much any emitter on a star under 25.5mm diameter. It has an adjustable focal length (although not on the fly you set it internally and it stays locked) to accommodate different emitters. I've only done a 2D side view of it for now, but it looks like it would be workable.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom