DIY Canister Light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks firecracker

Just made the goodman handle to complement the head.....when I get a minute, I will post a picture of it.

WHat are you guys doing to mount the toggle switch? I bought one with the rubber boot from diverite. I'm trying to determine the best way to mount it and how to correctly seal it. It would seem that one of the nuts would go on the outside - to tighten it up - but then the boot cover wouldn't seal the hole.

Thanks
Jeff

jfoster33702:
WHat are you guys doing to mount the toggle switch? I bought one with the rubber boot from diverite. I'm trying to determine the best way to mount it and how to correctly seal it. It would seem that one of the nuts would go on the outside - to tighten it up - but then the boot cover wouldn't seal the hole.

Thanks
Jeff

Personally I've only used the nut which is integral with the rubber boot to mount the switch. Otherwise your risk a leak. However I also use epoxy to secure (and seal), the switch body in place.

My completed divelight can be seen here:

http://groups.msn.com/Divelight/canisterlightezlighthead.msnw

Checked out your site. I like the idea of not using the stepped glass, as I am having trouble finding someone who will cut the 49mm part. I'm not 100% clear on how you accomplished this though? Do you use an o-ring above AND below the lens?

jfoster33702:
Checked out your site. I like the idea of not using the stepped glass, as I am having trouble finding someone who will cut the 49mm part. I'm not 100% clear on how you accomplished this though? Do you use an o-ring above AND below the lens?

I only used an O ring on the outside of the lens (between the Maglite end cap and the lens). On the other side of the lens it rests directly on the metal body of the Maglite. You still need to recess the Maglite body to take the MR16 bulb and ensure that the bulb and the lens don't touch.

Wow, it seems like water would be able to sneak past the oring on the body, up the side and in between the glass and maglite. Am I brave enough to try this? dunno :)

I guess that depends on how reckless you want to be :wink:

Joking aside, I'm a typically cautious engineer. I built a hydrotest chamber out of some 4" PVC pipe just so I could pressure test the light. Based on this (and the dives since), I've yet to see even one drop of water in the light head.

However as in all things, your mileage may vary. I would recommend testing it without a battery or bulb so that any leak would not destroy anything expensive. If it doesn't work for you, you can always go to an alternate design.

I just dove on the Willie off Milwaukee and not a drop was found. The light worked better than I expected (not to blow my own horn though).:D

Back
Top Bottom