DM Dilema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjed once bubbled...
Hmmmmm............

500+ dives, DM here we come.

What has this got to do with this thread, or did your wife just sign them off too?

Is this the moral structure that parents are creating these days? This is a non-question. He needs to be told that this kind of reporting is cheating and is cheating to himself for experience gained that is not there. One needs to gain dive experience and you can't do it by sitting on the shoreline. If he persists, then you should feel obligated to bring this up with your course director. Get a backbone and "do the right thing"

je

diverjed once bubbled...
Hmmmmm............

500+ dives, DM here we come.

I'm the the dinosaur dude here....wtf does that have anything to do with it.....

there are divers out there who are probably DMs and have 1000 dives, but have no business being in the business. It isn't how many dives you have (but it should be more than 20 for crying out loud) but it is a mind set that you pick up with diving experience and your interest in the sport.

Let me through in another pont oFfview. Once you are a pro you are obligated by standards to report violations of which you have first hand knowlege. Of course in a DM program you may not even see that part of the manual. As a student you have no obligation at all (by standards). What's the difference between faking the log and going out and doing a bunch of 15 minute 20 ft dives in a day to log the required dives. And yes I have seen this done.

Any one can fake a log. I'll bet it's done often. What you can't cheat on is experience and skill. If your instructor is any good they'll pick up on this and handle it accordingly. I have DM candidates who have been on the books for two years because their skills weren't up to par and they thought they would skate through. Now DM training isn't something that some one buys from me it's something they can apply for. They might fool me in the shop but they're not going to in the water.

I think the world has enough instructors and DM's there just aren't enough good ones.

All that I can say is that I wouldn't want this dishonest guy DM'ing on anything that I am diving. I mean if he is willing to lie about that, then what about if he doesn't know something about the underwater conditions where we are diving? Is he going to make something up on a dive briefing as well because he is too afraid of his image to admit that he doesn't know it? If I have an accident, is he going to lie to cover up the details to protect himself? If I had a child there, would I want to trust that child's life to someone who padded his experience level just for pride's sake? Is his pride worth the accident that could get worse just because he doesn't have the experience needed that he claims on his resume? Pride can lead people to do many things. But this is a clear violation of ethics for NO good reason.

If you are to be a professional DM yourself, make the call. I think that you know what it should be.....:(

If it were me I would report them and not think twice about it. You have a moral and a professional obligation. Think about it, if you and your buddy were certified DM's and something happened as a result of something your buddy did while you were present but had nothing to do with the accident you would be sued and dragged into court. The lawyers will go after each and everyone with an insurance card in their pocket.

If the instructor does nothing about it report the DM candidate to PADI. Having prior knowledge and doing nothing about it makes you just as quilty in my book and in some law books as well.

Scott

According to PADI Standards, YOU are in violation if you do not report this person.

Report this to the Instructor in charge of the course you will be taking. And DOCUMENT it!

Sooner or later this catches up with people. PADI does random Quality Control tests to make sure that this type of thing is caught.

~SubMariner~

I have started DM training in May and would certainly not train with somebody that is prepared to fake a logbook.

I think you have a moral obligation to inform the instructor and LDS about this even though the instructor should pick up on the diver's inexperience in the water.

20 dives shouldn't be enough to take even the Rescue Course. Although I personally don't think it is up to a fellow student to be turning another diver in for falsely filling in a log book, we all have to accept the fact that some people may do this, and hope that the Instructor is experienced enough to pick up on a diver's inexperience. Let's be realistic, if this guy is signing off fake dives to get his log book showing twenty dives then it will be embarrasingly obvious to the rest of the class that this individual shouldn't be in the divemaster program. I think responsibility in this case falls on the shop owner and Instructor. In the unlikely scenario that this individual is a natural and is skilled enough to take the divemaster course he still has to pass all the criteria, while although not overly difficult to an experienced diver, will be very hard for an inexperienced diver. My advice is let this diver spend the money to get certified, and let's hope the instructor see's this misrepresentation for what it's worth and makes the divemaster course long and grueling for him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom