DM pay or free to 'hold hand'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matts1w:
TyTy-

Diving with an expereinced diver and a new friend is a totally diffferent take on the situation.

However, your first post indicated you were looking for some sort of guided dive, much like the PADI Discover Local Diving experience. If that is the case you should compensate for their time.

I gotcha, I was misleading. No, Im not looking for anything more than someone that is familiar with the area and experienced to some degree. Mainly I guess if they are familiar with the area diving they would be experienced enough.

No, I dont care about being guided. I know where I want to dive, I know how I want to dive it I just dont want to be alone seeing as how it will be our first time without a group as well as first time in that spot.

So I guess the deciding factor would be if the potential person is a DM or professional compensation is mandetory, if they are not or they are a DM with a profession just looking to get wet then no, a free ride and tanks is fine.

matts1w:
TyTy-

Diving with an expereinced diver and a new friend is a totally diffferent take on the situation.

However, your first post indicated you were looking for some sort of guided dive, much like the PADI Discover Local Diving experience. If that is the case you should compensate for their time.

Exactly...I concur!

TyTy:
I gotcha, I was misleading. No, Im not looking for anything more than someone that is familiar with the area and experienced to some degree. Mainly I guess if they are familiar with the area diving they would be experienced enough.

No, I dont care about being guided. I know where I want to dive, I know how I want to dive it I just dont want to be alone seeing as how it will be our first time without a group as well as first time in that spot.

So I guess the deciding factor would be if the potential person is a DM or professional compensation is mandetory, if they are not or they are a DM with a profession just looking to get wet then no, a free ride and tanks is fine.

However, something no one has brought up is that if this person is a divemaster, whether he/she is a "friend" diivng with you or if he/she is diving with you as a contracted employee, he is still a diving professional and still has a significant level of implied responsibility/liability IF something were to go wrong, whether you explicity say this or not. This is why anyone who is a divemaster/instructor, whether working full-time, part-time, or not at all in that capacity needs to carry insurance. This is also why I can't imagine a DM willing to go out for no compensation when taking on this responsibility. I do think that there are many DM's out there who do not realize the liability they place on themselves once they cross that professional line.

Sounds like you are asking more for an experienced dive buddy who's willing to "hold hands" a bit. In exchange, you're willing to provde the boat, air, etc.. I would suggest that if a DM (or other dive professional) responds, you ask if compensation is expected. If they want it, they'll tell you (I would). As others have mentioned, a professional has insurance to cover and if anything happened to you or your girlfriend they would be exposed to liability.

Bill Schindler:
Sounds like you are asking more for an experienced dive buddy who's willing to "hold hands" a bit. In exchange, you're willing to provde the boat, air, etc.. I would suggest that if a DM (or other dive professional) responds, you ask if compensation is expected. If they want it, they'll tell you (I would). As others have mentioned, a professional has insurance to cover and if anything happened to you or your girlfriend they would be exposed to liability.

I hear ya loud and clear. See I didnt know about the liability issue. So once you break past the other levels into "Divemaster" level you are professional and assume liability. That clarifies the Divemaster certification to me, I thought it was just like being a blackbelt, you are really experienced but not necesarily a profesional. I wouldnt offer a blackbelt money to meet me at the gym to spar unless I knew they worked as an instructor, I would just buy them a beer afterwards.

Ok, that clears things up. Ill most likely play it by ear and just ask if compensation is necessary and what they think is fair.

I think the answer to that will depend on the person you find to dive with you.

I'd suggest that you wait until you get a response from an interested party. Then, have a talk with that person. Exchange information with each other about your diving backgrounds, experience levels, expectations, etc. After that, if there is a mutual agreement between you two that you'd like to dive together, kindly let him know what you have to offer and ask him what he would charge you for the day of diving.

If his response is acceptable to you, then go diving. Otherwise, negotiate or respectfully decline and look for someone else.

Being from the Pensacola area (not just a catchy name) I would ask why you do not just seek a walk on boat dive charter from here? There are several good ones (Divepros runs them regularly and I can get you other names). As for a dive buddy, I just got certified, so my experience level is zero otherwise I'd be happy to help out. PM me if you want some more help.

Archer_Pensacola:
Being from the Pensacola area (not just a catchy name) I would ask why you do not just seek a walk on boat dive charter from here? There are several good ones (Divepros runs them regularly and I can get you other names). As for a dive buddy, I just got certified, so my experience level is zero otherwise I'd be happy to help out. PM me if you want some more help.

Well, the thing is I called the big 3 dive shops in Pensacola and there is only one that DivePro is running this weekend that appeals to me somewhat. Only thing I dont like is that it might be deep dives and he said they arent sure of the vis. right now so might be a downer. Also I dont have a desire yet to go past 60ft, netihter does my buddy.

Also, that costs 80 bucks plus 20 tip so 200 for my GF and I, my dad has the boat, is excited to learn how to take us diving and he is free :D

I want to get comfortable enough to be able to go to the local LDS, check out dive conditions, pick up some tanks and go diving. Maybe mix some diving/fishing trips together, etc... My dad just loves using/being out on his boat so he is excited to take us but I want more experience and more local familiarity before we just jump in.

Really it would be cool if I found a buddy pair of experienced local divers that wanted to go with us a couple times a year and get wet. They would get a free boat ride and we wouuld all get buddies.

TyTy:
Well, the thing is I called the big 3 dive shops in Pensacola and there is only one that DivePro is running this weekend that appeals to me somewhat. Only thing I dont like is that it might be deep dives and he said they arent sure of the vis. right now so might be a downer. Also I dont have a desire yet to go past 60ft, netihter does my buddy.

Also, that costs 80 bucks plus 20 tip so 200 for my GF and I, my dad has the boat, is excited to learn how to take us diving and he is free :D

I want to get comfortable enough to be able to go to the local LDS, check out dive conditions, pick up some tanks and go diving. Maybe mix some diving/fishing trips together, etc... My dad just loves using/being out on his boat so he is excited to take us but I want more experience and more local familiarity before we just jump in.

Really it would be cool if I found a buddy pair of experienced local divers that wanted to go with us a couple times a year and get wet. They would get a free boat ride and we wouuld all get buddies.

Sorry, I'm REALLY not trying to start an argument here...but as a dive boat/business owner I feel the need to clear up one of the many misconceptions that are out there about the costs of taking a boat out. Unless you own one or have owned one in the past, these thinsg can't possibly cross your mind.

You say to go out with your Dad it's "free." Well, not really...SOMEONE is paying for it and as you've already mentioned "...100 or more dollars of free fuel..." plus (just to name a few expenses that need to be factored in):

• oil
  • maintenance
  • wear and tear
  • tanks
  • docking/marina fees
  • permitting/licenses
  • refreshements/water
  • boat payents if applicable

It's not just about the tanks and gas...ALL of these things have to be factored in...then decide if it's more cost effective to go out with a chatrter operation or privately. Not to mention the safety factors. Nothing against your dad...but you say he wants to learn how to take you diving. Does he know how to watch your bubbles? Does he or you know where the reefs are? In otherwords, is he trained a a dive boat captain or is he just a recreational boat owner?

Christi:
Sorry, I'm REALLY not trying to start an argument here...but as a dive boat/business owner I feel the need to clear up one of the many misconceptions that are out there about the costs of taking a boat out. Unless you own one or have owned one in the past, these thinsg can't possibly cross your mind.

You say to go out with your Dad it's "free." Well, not really...SOMEONE is paying for it and as you've already mentioned "...100 or more dollars of free fuel..." plus (just to name a few expenses that need to be factored in):

• oil
  • maintenance
  • wear and tear
  • tanks
  • docking/marina fees
  • permitting/licenses
  • refreshements/water
  • boat payents if applicable

It's not just about the tanks and gas...ALL of these things have to be factored in...then decide if it's more cost effective to go out with a chatrter operation or privately.
the most important item.
BEER! And lots of it. :)

Back
Top Bottom