DM pay or free to 'hold hand'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy43068:
the most important item.
BEER! And lots of it. :)

Actually, no, I didn't leave that one off...alcohol consumption right after diving is also a bad idea...and I don't recommend it. But, you can include that under refreshments if you want :)

It sounds like you just need to dive with more experienced boat divers. Going on a charter boat isn't going to teach you how to find your spot, anchor, get on and off the boat you will be using for future dives and gearing up in a smaller space. I would think you wouldn't have any problem finding someone who does diving off their own boat. They don't pay for fuel, lunch or tanks and don't have to wash down afterwards. Sounds like a good deal to me. Is that what they call freediving:D

Something to consider is getting back on, are you getting aboard with your gear on or are you going to put it on lanyards and haul it up.

Christi:
It's not just about the tanks and gas...ALL of these things have to be factored in...then decide if it's more cost effective to go out with a chatrter operation or privately.
I'm sure that he is treating the boat as a sunk cost... i.e. it is already taken care of, so it really should not be factored in for the dive cost. Yes, there are incremental maintenance costs in taking that boat out one additional day and fuel must be purchased, but all of the other costs are incurred and paid regardless. Your line of reasoning (just the cost portion) is more in line with someone considering purchasing a boat for this purpose. Now the safety aspect, that's a whole different issue.

Brian

m7scuba:
I'm sure that he is treating the boat as a sunk cost...
Brian

Of course he is...it's his dad's boat...not his. He does imply however that they will be using the boat in the future as a dive boat. And yes, the safety aspects are even bigger.

Christi:
Actually, no, I didn't leave that one off...alcohol consumption right after diving is also a bad idea...and I don't recommend it. But, you can include that under refreshments if you want :)
said I always have the best ideas? :)

I was kidding, but you knew it.

Randy43068:
said I always have the best ideas? :)

I was kidding, but you knew it.

Glad you took that lightheartedly Randy :) that's how I meant it :)

AND, so as not to sound so mother-henny...remember that Ty-Ty is a new diver...so we want him to learn "GOOD" examples :)

TyTy:
Well, the thing is I called the big 3 dive shops in Pensacola and there is only one that DivePro is running this weekend that appeals to me somewhat. Only thing I dont like is that it might be deep dives and he said they arent sure of the vis. right now so might be a downer. Also I dont have a desire yet to go past 60ft, netihter does my buddy.

Also, that costs 80 bucks plus 20 tip so 200 for my GF and I, my dad has the boat, is excited to learn how to take us diving and he is free :D

I want to get comfortable enough to be able to go to the local LDS, check out dive conditions, pick up some tanks and go diving. Maybe mix some diving/fishing trips together, etc... My dad just loves using/being out on his boat so he is excited to take us but I want more experience and more local familiarity before we just jump in.

Really it would be cool if I found a buddy pair of experienced local divers that wanted to go with us a couple times a year and get wet. They would get a free boat ride and we wouuld all get buddies.

I hope someone else here can help you. Did you post in the Florida Conch Divers section. "Superbugman" is from gulf shores area, AL (I think) and he is pretty knowledgeable about the waters around here. Otherwise it sounds like maybe you need to get some charts and books on local diving and go for it. If you are looking for buddies to share an afternoon with I can hook you up, but if you are looking for an experienced diver/"tour guide" unfortunately I do not yet fit that bill.

Christi:
Glad you took that lightheartedly Randy :) that's how I meant it :)

AND, so as not to sound so mother-henny...remember that Ty-Ty is a new diver...so we want him to learn "GOOD" examples :)
the responsinlity of being a pro. :) You're right.

I've heard very, very good things about you Christi, and from that I know you have a good sense of humor. After all, if you can put up with the likes of Penny and others here you have to be good people. :D

Randy43068:
the responsinlity of being a pro. :) You're right.

I've heard very, very good things about you Christi, and from that I know you have a good sense of humor. After all, if you can put up with the likes of Penny and others here you have to be good people. :D

AHHH...you know the "Princess?" I love her to death...give her a hug for me next time you see her :)

Christi:
AHHH...you know the "Princess?" I love her to death...give her a hug for me next time you see her :)
I know her. I'll do that tomorrow. She and I are taking DIR-F together this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom