Do we have scallops around Oahu?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MilitantMedic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Found something that kooks quite a bit like a scallop, about 3"-4" wide and quite thin. Small "fingers" on the lip of the shell. Sand brown in colour with a "hairy" apparence.

Anyone know?

I've seen them at.....let me see...
39.gif
...it was either Safeway or Daiei :wink:....hee, hee....couldn't help messin' with ya.

Sorry, can't say I have ever seen scallops here...but I don't know everything. Some one might show up and know if or if not.

what!? the almighty justleesa defaces her throne?!!?!? Never!

MilitantMedic:
Found something that kooks quite a bit like a scallop, about 3"-4" wide and quite thin. Small "fingers" on the lip of the shell. Sand brown in colour with a "hairy" apparence.

Anyone know?

Hi!
Yes scallops do exist in Hawaiian waters but is a rare find. A few oysters may be mistaken for them, especially the hairy kind :)

Where did you see it?

I've seen a fair amount, this one was (is) at the north end of Yokohama just south of Kaena Point. It's a mile swim unless you have a boat....and no I don't have a boat. There is a reef in 20'-7' of water. I don't believe it has a name so I call it Pig's Reef. PM if you want the exact location.

Those hairy things could be the byssal threads found on the ever-ellusive Judd's Scallop . Does it move when you disturb it? (oh NO, you aren't going to eat it, are you?)

I guess that would be ok...

Yeah it locks up if you touch it.

It's probably a young pearl oyster - they look exactly like what you've described.

We do have several species of scallop, but they're all very small and live in deep water sand patches.

Can't take em here. Too bad!

Back
Top Bottom