Do you dive/like diving with a DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Azza

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I have noticed, on a few threads around here, that a lot of people like diving with DM’s, or in certain places in the world you must dive with a DM.

In my country it’s not a thing that has really taken off to any extent so I wanted to pose this question(s).

Do you like diving with a Divemaster and what country do you come from/dive in?

Just idle curiosity.
Thanks in advance

I don't much enjoy being "toured." I like to explore on my own.

You're most likely to be forced to go with a DM on boat trips in the tropics.

Like most things it depends who the DM is, when I dive I like to go v e r y s l o w l y none of this finning like a mad man to see as much as the dive site as possible. A good DM (IMHO) should ask the group their leading what they would like to do, anything they would like to see and help find it. Ive been on some dives that would have been great without the DM but were Fantastic because of the knowledge of the DM

You wont find a charter boat in this country that has a DM yet alone a diving one.

Personally i hate group herded "follow the leader" diving.

Give me one normal buddy and off to do our own dive any day.

Yes! My normal dive buddy is a dm so it's not a follow the leader thing it's a buddy pair exploring. I would hate to be forced to do "follow the leader" dives.

My favorite dive buddy is a blonde with green eyes that melt my soul. She is also a DM. I guess I like diving with her just fine.

Depends, if I'm trying to learn something or I'm on an unfamilair dive location with bad conditions, then yes. If not, I just like going off with my buddy and doing my own thing.

Dunno. Diving with a DM vs. having the DM hang out on the boat. Some places insist you dive as a group with the DM, some places the DM doesn't even get wet. I've even dived with a DM as a rent-a-buddy on a more challenging dive I wasn't completely confident in doing. Put me in the undecided column.

Although I consider myself to be a fairly competent diver there are times I would use a DM. I am going to Thailand in Oct and the liveaboard we are going on uses them. I may miss the best sights without an experienced eye to find the sea horses and little stuff. I am hoping to be able to find the whale sharks on my own :D

Back
Top Bottom