Do you dive with a 7' regulator hose with a single tank setup?

Best to dive the following with single tank setup.

• 7' regulator hose

Votes: 62 68.1%
  • 5' regulator hose

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • factory length, somewhere btwn 22"-26"

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Doesn't matter, whatever is best for you!

Votes: 14 15.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad it helped.

Dave D
:)

dmdalton once bubbled...
7 foot. Maintains consitency between singles and doubles relative to hose routing.

Dave D

Think muscle memory ... KISS principal, I only want to learn one way of doing things if possible so why change. After practicing OOA with a long hose I'll never go back.

~<//><

When I bought my reg, I had them put a 7' on it... we planned on before I settled on it, they would set it up with the 7' and I'd check it out before leaving (just trying dry), if I thought it was too long without having a canister I would have them put the 5' on.

For me being about 6' Tall, and 170ish, 7' was pretty much perfect... the loop just makes it down to my waist and accross, where as the 5' would probably be too short to actually be comfortable... with me the 7' could pretty much no be tucked in and would stay close to my body... I thouroughly plan on tucking it in, just to insure it doesn't "flap in the breeze" or get entangled... though I think it probably might be ok without being stowed in the waist strap. Plus this way if I add a canister it's the right length, as well as not needing a longer hose for wreck/cave if/when I go that route... After buying I saw some photos of the 5' and not knowing how tall the guys were I could tell it went RIGHT under their armpit, and looked almost as if it was short enought to be almost pulling the reg out of thier mouths... so I'm sure the 5' would have been to short for me, the guy at FifthD and a non diver with me both agreed.

I'm almost a long hose convert. Currently I'm diving a 27" primary, 37" secondary, single tank, back-inflate/hybrid BC. My biggest gripe is that I don't really like where my secondary regular ends up being attached to my front; it always seems awkward. I'm beginning to think a long primary/necklaced secondary might due the trick.

I like the idea of extra room for OOA, more locatable secondary, warming of air through long hose, less pulling on the reg, streamlining... but I do have a couple of questions that I couldn't answer with a board search. Let me state that I have no desire to be DIR compilant - not knocking DIR, it just doesn't match up with my personal diving philosophy.

1)How do you route the long hose without a canister light or pouch on right hip? I don't have a BP/wing setup (so don't go there), so where would I "hook" that portion of hose that comes down to the right hip before going across the chest?

2)Any potential for running into DMs/boat captains that won't let you dive with a long hose? Along the same lines, anyone experienced any institutional friction totaking AOW with a long hose?

3)Does the long hose affect regulator performance? I know this has been discussed a lot, but wondering if anyone has any numbers from these things being thrown on a breathing machine?(I'm a physicist, I want DATA - hehe) :brain:

4)Donning and doffing - doesn't the long hose get in the way when you're putting your rig on? How do you keep from tripping on the extra hose?

5)The necklace reg - does it stay mouthpiece-down on the necklace? Concerned about getting freeflows on surface swims.

Just things to confirm:
Length of long hose: 7', but many vary if small-framed diver.
Length of secondary hose: 22"ish, but I may try my 27"

Thanks for the input, y'all.

mer once bubbled...
I'm almost a long hose convert. Currently I'm diving a 27" primary, 37" secondary, single tank, back-inflate/hybrid BC. My biggest gripe is that I don't really like where my secondary regular ends up being attached to my front; it always seems awkward. I'm beginning to think a long primary/necklaced secondary might due the trick.

I like the idea of extra room for OOA, more locatable secondary, warming of air through long hose, less pulling on the reg, streamlining... but I do have a couple of questions that I couldn't answer with a board search. Let me state that I have no desire to be DIR compilant - not knocking DIR, it just doesn't match up with my personal diving philosophy.

1)How do you route the long hose without a canister light or pouch on right hip? I don't have a BP/wing setup (so don't go there), so where would I "hook" that portion of hose that comes down to the right hip before going across the chest?

2)Any potential for running into DMs/boat captains that won't let you dive with a long hose? Along the same lines, anyone experienced any institutional friction totaking AOW with a long hose?

3)Does the long hose affect regulator performance? I know this has been discussed a lot, but wondering if anyone has any numbers from these things being thrown on a breathing machine?(I'm a physicist, I want DATA - hehe) :brain:

4)Donning and doffing - doesn't the long hose get in the way when you're putting your rig on? How do you keep from tripping on the extra hose?

5)The necklace reg - does it stay mouthpiece-down on the necklace? Concerned about getting freeflows on surface swims.

Just things to confirm:
Length of long hose: 7', but many vary if small-framed diver.
Length of secondary hose: 22"ish, but I may try my 27"

Thanks for the input, y'all.

I'll try, in order:

1. I don't know what BC you're using, so it's hard to determine the best way. When I don't dive w/ a cannister light, I just tuck the hose into my belt. Maybe you can do the same.

2. I've never had a problem on any charter that I've been on. Most people are curious, and ask a lot of questions. The informed ones already know what it is.

As for AOW, my instructor dove a Hogarthian rig (he's now a DIR instructor) so I didnt' have a problem!

3. From personal experience, not at all. From a hard data experience-I don't have that for you. But let me offer you this-the really hard-core divers are doing 18000 ft penetrations at 300 ffw and using the long hose with no problems at all.

4. Yes, a little. But you learn to wrap it around your regs or use a velcro strap when not using it. It's really a non-issue.

5. The backup reg is detuned to prevent freeflow. Mine stays mouthpiece up because that's the quickest way to access it. I think you could dive it mouthpiece down, but have never done it that way. You don't want this hose too long so that it flaps around over your shoulder.

Dive safe,

Jack

mer wrote...
I clip it to my right chest D-ring before donning, and clip it off again when exiting the water.

I prefer a 5' hose for diving without a canister light. Stuffing the extra length of a 7' hose back into the belt after an S-drill is annoying.

I might have to try using a belt sheath instead, though I don't need an extra knife.

I just converted to a 7' hose last week. On my first dive, I got together with a DIR friend to practice some OOA drills and get used to the rig. It was so friggen easy ... my first thought was "why'd I wait so long?"

My wife uses a traditional rig, so on our first dive together I explained the concept of the OOA, we did a dry land practice, and then hit the water to get her used to receiving the "new" way. She got it right on the first try ... and for practice we even toured around the cove for about 10 minutes breathing off my air ... her on my primary, me on the necklace.

Why dive it recreationally? That's a no-brainer ... because it's way easier to handle an OOA this way ... even with someone who doesn't dive a long-hose.

There are a couple of caveats though ...

1. Make sure that if you're diving with someone who's not familiar with a long hose, you go through the exchange procedure prior to the dive. Don't just talk it thru ... do a dry land practice exchange to show them how it works. It takes about a minute, and will avoid any possibility for confusion.

2. When getting into your rig, make sure your hoses are properly routed. Getting your primary and safe-second hoses crossed will still work ... but you'll know it because your primary hose will ride up your head a bit and want to pull slightly on the reg when you turn your head. You can always switch to your safe-second and have your buddy uncross them ... but it's easier to do a buddy-check before the dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Why?
Consistent with my doubles rig.
Airsharing ascent practice.
More streamlined.
Flexibility.

I do have a 36" on my mud puddle rig (steel72 with plastic backpack) but I like the long hose better.

same here, the rare occassion where i dive a single tank i use a 7" hose for all above mentioned reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom