• Rarely

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • Always

Votes: 38 20.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

X-shorts are sadly no longer in production, but you can find them here and there, sometimes on e-bay.

I've had a mask fail at the beginning of a dive, and I've lost one in the surf on entry. The first time, I didn't have a spare, and had to can the dive. The second time, I pulled the backup mask out of my pocket and went diving. No question which outcome I preferred.

In 46 years of diving I've only had one mask strap break. Since I wear my masks under my hood, it stayed on and I continued to dive and film by pressing my camera housing against the mask to seal it against my face. Years ago I did have a mask lens fall out, but the vis generally isn't good enough to notice the difference! I do keep a spare in my bag of course.

For recreational dives I don't carry a spare mask. For any dive with a ceiling, either rock or deco), someone on the team usually carries an extra mask. The mask goes in a suit pocket or DR pocket on the waist strap of the harness, tucked back near the left tank, if there's no pocket.

I was doing a dive at the blue hole in NM. I hate to say it, but I kicked the mask off one of the people I was diving with when I turned to check on him. Oops...

But he had a spare mask in his thy pocket, and put it on and cleared it no problem. We were around the 65' shelf and it settled nicely there. I went and grabbed it for him and we continued the dive. After that, I bought a thy pocket for my own spare mask.

drbill:
In 46 years of diving I've only had one mask strap break. Years ago I did have a mask lens fall out, but the vis generally isn't good enough to notice the difference! I do keep a spare in my bag of course.
Nowdays you can actually go to a store and buy a mask rather than building your own. The lenses are less likely to fall out. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom