• Rarely

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • Always

Votes: 38 20.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I selected 'rarely' because I carried a backup when diving a full-face AGA.
-Ben

Blackwood:
If they are full of water except when you clear for reading, what's the point?

They seal quite well and once you get some air in them it does not leak out, so you only need to clear them once. Plus, as you ascent thye air will expand. If the google is tighter on the top, water will be pushed out the bottom.

I always carry a backup mask in my drysuit pocket.

Paco II:
Where do you all keep the mask? One poster mentioned their drysuit pocket.

Do people use clip-on pouches?

My backup mask is in an add-on pouch velcroed to my BC .... Zeagle Stiletto

Paco II:
Just curious about how many people dive with a backup mask? And just to be clear, I don't with you in your gear bag, I mean with you underwater.
I'm curious how many people have actually experienced a mask failure while underwater?

As an AAUS Research Diver and Navy trained diver there is no need. Either your buddy leads you if you subscribe to the buddy system, or you make a hand mask. For direction on a hand mask use the search fuction for the thread it is described in.

I carry a b/u when the water is cold and can not put the mask strap under my hood due to cold water leaking under my hood. As soon as the water warms up I put my primary under my hoodie and drop the spare mask.

Spike_Digger:
I'm curious how many people have actually experienced a mask failure while underwater?

Everytime my instructor sneaks up behind me and pulls it off of me :)

Spare mask----Rarely in recreational diving....depending on the dive team & dive profile, I may or may not in tech diving.

It's easy to handle an extra mask on person without a pocket. You can clip it off to a BC with a bolt snap, or store it around an arm, leg, neck, tank, whatever.

I rarely dive with a spare mask, but do on deeper ocean divers where I REALLY want to see stuff, and not miss the dive. I've never seen a mask failure, but I've seen people loose masks. This happens more often top side than UW however, but in current one can loose a mask.

I carry a spare in my save-a-dive kit, but it stays on the boat. In the extremely unlikely event my mask disappears, I will use the hand mask method and abort the dive...and yes, I do practice.

Mountain Dog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom