• Rarely

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • Always

Votes: 38 20.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't really have room for one... maybe when I make the switch to BP/W and a drysuit...

AqueousSapien:
Interesting...I didn't realize how common this was..
Actually, I doubt its common in the real world. Asking questions on Scubaboard tends to skew data points.

I was reading another thread about 'what to do if' and a lot of people responded to the original question with 'I'd use my backup mask.' I had the same thought as you. So that prompted this poll/thread.

AqueousSapien:
Interesting...I didn't realize how common this was..

I've been hit or miss for carrying a backup mask, but it absolutely saved a dive on our trip to LA where it would have been a deal-breaker to have had to go back to the car for a new one.

In cold water, I carry it in my dry suit pocket. In warm water, in my X-shorts pocket.

I've experimented with using swim googles for backup when solo diving. They work OK for reading guages but your choices are limited to ascend or stop. I guess you could remove them if you had to descend. They are easier to store than a full mask.

I figure I'm not diving sewage unless the City of Venice has a spill again and hasn't told anyone for a week... and I've seen Walter dive without a mask.. why worry :D

I wonder if I am seeing a pattern: Those who have a pocket to put it in use one, those who don't, don't? :)

Paco II:
I wonder if I am seeing a pattern: Those who have a pocket to put it in use one, those who don't, don't? :)

Yes... there is also a perceived need for the pocket. The pocket doesn't just have a spare mask... there's also some emergency/utility items...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom