Do you dive with a spare mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overhead-restricted: absolutely carry a spare mask.

Recreational:
Long scooter cruises (1/2 mile): Yes
Simple swim around the boat: No

All the best, James

Having a spare mask for a trip is just a good idea. Whether you actually bring it along for the dive is where I see room for debate.

I tend to bring one for all dives (and always for staged decompression dives, surf entries, and long scooter runs off-shore). For some simple, easy dives, we'll just bring one spare for the team. While I haven't lost a mask yet or had one fail in the water, I have had a strap break at the water's edge (and having a spare saved me re-crossing the beach, going up a long flight of stairs, a hike back to my car several blocks away, and coming back) and I've seen a teammate's mask de-laminate underwater. In both cases, having a spare mask along saved time and meant we could continue with the dives.

A small, low volume mask really doesn't take up that much room in a thigh pocket.

I always carry a spare on every dive; I have a flat, roll-up pocket on my BC, and when unrolled it carries a frameless mask perfectly. The bottom of the pocket is Velcro'ed to the BC, so no flapping around. I haven't needed it yet, but I'm sure if I stop carrying it I will. Since our diving is always at a great distance from home and at great $$$, I never want to bail on a dive for the sake of a mask.

I have seen a few people lately discuss having a spare mask in a pocket while diving. Is this the status quo to dive with an extra mask or is this considered overkill to most? And I am not talking about having an extra mask in your gear bag topside.

Overhead or decompression

Yes-always

OW no deco

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never carried a spare mask...but a few months ago, the band on my mask broke...so i spent the rest of the dive holding the mask in place with 1 hand...very big PITA!!!!!!

Cheers

BA

I practiced no-mask ascension before. While I couldn't see my gauges and couldn't quite capture the air bubbles with cupped hand to see the gauges, I could definitely see the bubbles and follow them up. As long as I don't outrace the bubble, I'm good to go.

I'm purely an open water recreational diver and plan to stay that way. I don't carry an extra mask with me in the water.

My DSMB has a finder spool attached to it with 1 knot at 10 feet, 2 knots at 20 feet, 3 at 30 and 4 at 40. The spool line has never snagged when deployed (the knots are small). I can deploy the DSMB and rise slowly until I hit the knots, slow my ascent even further when at 30 feet, hit the 20 foot mark, count to 180, then rise to the surface.

I've never carried a spare mask...but a few months ago, the band on my mask broke...so i spent the rest of the dive holding the mask in place with 1 hand...very big PITA!!!!!!

I once whacked my mask and broke the buckle while hauling out all the parts of the dive platform I was going to set up for a coming class. I then did the entire setup dive without a strap, but without holding the mask on. I only had to touch it to make an adjustment a few times. If you have inhaled slightly to create a suction and are not subsequently exhaling through your nose, it should stay on just fine without the strap. Practice keeping the mask in place without a strap in the comfort of your home for a while, then try it under water. You'll be surprised how easy it can be.

Like many others, my decision about carrying a mask depends upon the situation. In all dives and with all accessory equipment, you have to weigh the likelihood of a problem against the consequences of it occurring and the inconvenience of carrying it. When I am cave diving, I carry 3 lights. The likelihood of needing 3 lights is small, but the consequence of needing that 3rd light is dire, and it is no big deal to carry it.

Similarly, the likelihood of a mask failure is extremely remote, and for OW dives the consequences are minor and the inconvenience of carrying it higher (it's bulky in a suit pocket,. and I don't use a BCD with pockets), so I will not carry one then.

In caves it is a different story, but I know some extremely veteran cave divers, some with names that are huge in that history, who do not carry spare masks in caves. One of them said to me, "I have been diving caves for 35 years and haven't seen a lost mask yet." Another says he wants to be as streamlined as possible in a cave, and so he doesn't want that bulk in a pocket. In the extremely unlikely situation that a mask would fail, he would just get on the line and follow it out.

I will confess that I have done cave dives without one myself--especially if I know my buddy has one.

I wonder how many people would change their mind about being maskless in cold water vs warm water. I can barely open my eyes diving local cold water and it hurts. Yet in the tropics can freely swim around without a mask on and be perfectly comfortable. I have free dove plenty in warm water with just shorts on. Few would be caught in the ocean here without full exposure protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom