Do you dive without......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive doubles, sling a al 40 bottle, drysuit, cutting device, bp/w all for either redundancy of safety devices or gas supply because I plan to go deep. If you plan to clean a boat underside I see there being no reason to wear all the gear. from 20 feet not much of an issue to exhale and go to the surface.

Have you ever seen these divers go deep? say over 100ft?

Most current divers have not been trained to buddy breath.

I am wondering why you say that most divers are not trained to buddy breathe. I am NAUI OW certified, and that was part of our training. Don't all the other training organizations teach buddy breathing, too?

I dive doubles, sling a al 40 bottle, drysuit, cutting device, bp/w all for either redundancy of safety devices or gas supply because I plan to go deep. If you plan to clean a boat underside I see there being no reason to wear all the gear. from 20 feet not much of an issue to exhale and go to the surface.

Have you ever seen these divers go deep? say over 100ft?

I have been to over 100 ft with my DH regs quite a few times and a good many times to the 100 ft range with no BC, it's no big deal. I won't do it 30 miles off shore in NC but in the warm Caribbean a little off shore, do it ever chance I get.

I am wondering why you say that most divers are not trained to buddy breathe. I am NAUI OW certified, and that was part of our training. Don't all the other training organizations teach buddy breathing, too?

Are you confusing buddy breathing with sharing air? In buddy breathing you are sharing 1 second stage, you take a couple of breaths and then pass it off to your buddy who takes a couple of breaths. Every agency teaches sharing air but none that I am aware of teach classic buddy breathing. It's not really a skill that is necessary for single hose regs with octos but for those of us who still dive the way of Jacque and Mike, it's a needed skill.

One picture is my nephew returning from a warm water dive in 1969, single steel 72 and DH regulator, pack, mask and fins. The other is me in 2009, twin 90 cu/ft tanks, DH regulator, UDT surface flotation vest, mask and fins.

Attachments

• mmadere.jpg
    mmadere.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC00264 (Small).JPG
    DSC00264 (Small).JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 62
Are you confusing buddy breathing with sharing air? In buddy breathing you are sharing 1 second stage, you take a couple of breaths and then pass it off to your buddy who takes a couple of breaths. Every agency teaches sharing air but none that I am aware of teach classic buddy breathing. It's not really a skill that is necessary for single hose regs with octos but for those of us who still dive the way of Jacque and Mike, it's a needed skill.

I learned buddy breathe and sharing air in my PADI class 9 years or so ago, I don't know if they have stopped teaching it since I was certified or if my teacher taught it simply because he was about a hundred years old and probably has always taught the class with that component?

PADI has stopped teaching it. Some PADI instructors may still teach it but the agency no longer includes it. They did not teach it to my wife in 2004.

My best answer is "sometimes". When I DM at a local shop I use my modern gear, complete with a power inflated BCD, an octopus (second second stage), all of the whistles, safety sausages, etc. that stuff that folks have been instructed to use over the past 30 years.

But I also have my Vintage side: I simply put on the harness attached to my twin 72s, or strap on a 1960's era backpack with a single tank; throw the double hoses from my regulator over my head and down I go, no vest, often times no weights, just the mask, fins, maybe a wet suit, and my basic scuba.

Which do I prefer? If you have to ask, you just don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom