• All the info is in my dive computer

Votes: 42 9.2%
  • There is no use for a dive log

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Updated frequently but not signed

Votes: 139 30.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FoSheZZie23:
My first 20 or so dives i wrote everything down in my log but didnt have it signed by any one (what is the point? so i dont lie to myself?) and then i got a dive computer and i downloaded my dives onto my computer about every 5 or so till i got bored with that (around the 30 dive mark... not to long after) and i havnt downloaded them since. Maybe when i get near 999 dives i will download them because they will start getting deleated out of the computer. But if for some crazy reason i need to know my dives ill just download them. until then they are safe in the computer!
And if the computer dies? *poof, all the dives gone*

Just a thought..

The primary purpose of my dive log is to record weight and trim for different configurations.

Doc Harry:
The primary purpose of my dive log is to record weight and trim for different configurations.
Same here.. Altho I only have one set of gear, I dive different sites, both fresh and saltwater and using saltwater weighing in freshwater is not the best :p
I also still move downwards on the weights I need to use.

Another thing I like to put in my logs is wildlife and site conditions.. Im trying to map out a rather big lake that have very varying bottomn comditions and some of the areas that look good from above there plainly suck once you get down under because of deep, black mud which steal a LOT of light and makes great visibility go to zero.. and i dont feel like diving those sites a lot.

I record the gas consumption as well..

actually ... the more i think about this, the more i'd be lost without my log book

i record when i start using which piece of equipment, when a reg was serviced, when a tank was VIP'd or hydroed ... just keep it all in one handy place

i record configuration, weight

gas consumption (and a running SAC average)

it's sort of like a reference book for my diving

I like to download my dives off my Scuba Pro Aladin Tech 2G, the infrared port works great. I like to see how I did on my deco stops and what the profile looked like in graph form. I also try to write a synopsis of the dive with interesting details noted.

I don't have anyone sign it....what for? It's been about 700 dives and no one has ever asked me for my log book. I've taken wreck diving classes, GUE's Fundamentals of Diving and TDI's Advanced Nitrox, Extended Range Decompression and Trimix and now going onto Advanced Trimix. No one has ever asked me for my log book.

I keep my log in software form to keep track of the types of dives I do and make note of my experiences.

lucybuykx:
Merci rostangarubra. Votre carnet c'est tres belle.

May I recommend it to everyone else...

Holy cow! That's like Sean Connery's Grail Diary!

An instructor friend of mine told me on a recent plane trip to Cozumel that his computer crashed and he lost about 300 dives. Me? Before I so much as shower I fill out my log book. And I will often go back through it reading my notes. It's called continuing education, and helps me from getting too comfortable with my skill set.

My paper dive logs are crammed full of notes and sketches of things I have seen on my dives. If I cannot identify a fish at the time then I put some notes in and when I get online or with a decent reference book I will try figure out what it was and then go back and update the log book.

On a personal level I really enjoy flicking back through my logs and being able to fully recall the dive and often the day around it.

On a professional level I use it for all sorts of things ; the "have you dived at x?" question, "whats your deepest/coldest/longest dive?", "can I get different divelogs?" , "what fish do you see at y?"

Maybe when I get into the thousands of dives in one area I will start cutting back, but on the other hand, it becomes more important to record sightings over time and track changes.

What if your dive buddy IS your significant other a lot of the time?? :wink:

Cheers,
Austin

i try to buddy up with hot chicks.. then tell them its a requirement that they leave there name and number in my book...

muahahahaha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom