• All the info is in my dive computer

Votes: 42 9.2%
  • There is no use for a dive log

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Updated frequently but not signed

Votes: 139 30.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a slacker. I dive for fun, getting a pen and paper out is far too hard after a good days diving. Besides, the dive computer can record all that stuff.

Z..

Superform:
i try to buddy up with hot chicks.. then tell them its a requirement that they leave there name and number in my book...

muahahahaha

Hang on... I think you are on to something here...

3-Ring Octopus:
What if your dive buddy IS your significant other a lot of the time?? :wink:

Cheers,
Austin

Then you keep colored pens around and decorate the page with little hearts :D You should see my logbook or my husband's since I still sign his...or ask Walter, he's seen mine :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

Have not kept a written log book since sometime in the early '80's. It's all my head. Also have never had anyone ask me to show a log book as a requirement to dive anywhere in particular.

Cap'n Ed

OceanSailor you're right about not showing a dive log if you have a AOW card or up. If you want to book a deep wreck dive in the Keys, it's been my experience that most dive ops will ask to see you log book to check your deep dives, again that is if you are not at least AOW. I know OW limit is 60' but you can go anywhere in Cozumel and do 85' drift dives without AOW. Again, my experience, that won't happen in the Keys without an AOW card or your log book. They not only check for deep dives but how LONG it's been since your last deep dive.

OceanSailor:
Have not kept a written log book since sometime in the early '80's. It's all my head. Also have never had anyone ask me to show a log book as a requirement to dive anywhere in particular.

Cap'n Ed

I've been asked for a stamped logbook in both Africa and Israel. Since mine is electronic, stamped was a problem. Once I gave my cert level and total number of dives they backed off. I noticed they were not as flexible for newer divers. They were given depth restrictions and\or mandatory refresh. If you are going to dive in many locations, it's a good idea to at least keep a basic one. Some places care.

I went out with one crowd one day that did not even ask whether I was certified. I didn't go out with them again. Next day I was asked for cert card, how long I had been diving and my dive log which was browsed through.

I'm told that may dive ops in the Red Sea are keen on seeing logs though some of the sceptics think it is because they can sell scuba reviews to folks who forget them :11:

I enter minimum info in my dive log so that when I sync my dive computer with my PC I've got location, dive buddy and viz info. I don't bother with signatures.

lucybuykx:
I went out with one crowd one day that did not even ask whether I was certified. I didn't go out with them again. Next day I was asked for cert card, how long I had been diving and my dive log which was browsed through.

I'm told that may dive ops in the Red Sea are keen on seeing logs though some of the sceptics think it is because they can sell scuba reviews to folks who forget them :11:

I find some are too lax and others too strict.

Here in the US I went out with a group that had a diver without a computer or watch. He never knew how long or deep he was. He just came back when everyone else did. I thought it crazy the op let him dive, even more so since we were out to sea 30 miles.

On the other hand I've had ops tell long time divers that they are restricted to 60ft since they are only OW.

As for a logbook. I download my dives to the computer and add the information that I may want to know later. I keep a copy on my PDA and take the PDA with me. So far, that's been plenty.

Dive #/Date/Boat Name/Site/%N2/Buddy or "Solo"/Dry (if drysuit)/depth/time, e.g.

163 5/14/98 Lady Cyana III Molasses M18 "Jim" 39' / :57
755 3/9/07 Dina Dee City of Athens 30% Solo DRY 105'/:40

Store it on the computer. Print up a "log" (a piece of paper) of the last 50 or so dives before vacations and stick it in the wallet, in case I'm ever asked. (Haven't been yet.) For NJ diving I note the bottom temp and number of bugs caught in a separate folder.

Back
Top Bottom