• All the info is in my dive computer

Votes: 42 9.2%
  • There is no use for a dive log

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Updated frequently but not signed

Votes: 139 30.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's a long boat ride back in (like here in the Gulf of Mex), what else are you doing anyway? Might as well fill out the log and have your buddy sign it. Most of my entries are signed, a few aren't.

I log them all, but very few are signed because I fill out the book at home. I like to look back to see how my diving has progressed and to remember certain dives.

I almost have all the prerecs for tec courses, too. The log proves it. :)

My primary log is kept in a database on my computer at home. I log all the standard info onsite, and that helps me fill out the computer one when I get home. Except for training, there are no signatures...

I'm OCD about logging dives. I have a huge spreadsheet with everything you'd ever want to know about any of my dives...
Kinda hard to sign something in Excel. :wink:

SparticleBrane:
I'm OCD about logging dives. I have a huge spreadsheet with everything you'd ever want to know about any of my dives...
Kinda hard to sign something in Excel. :wink:

You should buy one of those portable scanners that UPS uses - They sell them on ebay, usually for about 500 or less.

Most of the better units are programmable, so you could embed your excel sheet right into the scanner - and then your dive buddies could use the pen to digitally sign your log, which would export an a .PNG or .JPG right into your excel sheet.

overkill? :rofl3: :D

All dives are in log book with minimal to thorough info, depending on dive. All logged on Smartcom are saved on Laptop as well (since computer was warenteed/recalled). Signitures on training dives only (BUT almost all of my dives are with family and can confirm them.)

Digital log gives gas consumption data for all dives, Thinking about building custom log book page so I can include some more of comuter data.

Bob in CO

Its good to keep log and reflect what I did on that dive.

I will likely keep a log with my new Cobra and upload it to my home computer. It looks like a neat thing. I just hope I don't get tired of doing it. I haven't logged a dive since I got my instructor card.

I logged dive number 547 on Saturday. I had my buddy sign my log book. I love logging my dives. I know a lot of people with over a thousand dives that have said they wish they had kept logging them. I have a rule for my book, as I dive with a lot of DM's and Instructors... unless I have paid you to train me or guide me, you sign my book as a buddy! No ticking off the "instructor" or "DM" square! It ticks off a lot of instructors, but makes me laugh!! :rofl3:

Why log... many of the reasons have already been stated... primarily, for me, it is to highlight great dives (they have more writing and sometimes even drawings!). I put all info: gear config, weight, depth, BT, temp vis, gas used, and type of dive (hunting, photo, drysuit, nitrox, etc). I talk about the topography and any unusual fish or invert behaviors I notice. WHen on a boat, I log the boat name and my friends that were on the boat (sometimes, even the stuff that is supposed to "stay on the boat" gets into my log... :laurel:)I love going back through old dives...it's like being there all over again. I also use it as a tool, I have a drysuit, three diff wetsuits, five diff tanks, and dive cold and warm waters. The log helps me to remember which weight system to use for which exposure protection.

I have shown it when I travel. I forgot my nitrox card once... showed the captain my nitrox training logs, as well as all the dives I written in as "Nitrox," so he still allowed me to use nitrox on the boat. When in Loreto, I showed my log book to get off the "resort dive" boat and get onto the experienced sites boat... I was sooooo greatful!

My fav log story is how at 100 dives, I looked back through the logbook at my first dives. They were in Thailand. I dive off the beach in Southern California and am usually very happy with 10+ FEET of visibility. After my third dive in Thailand, I had asked my instructor what the vis was. I wrote in my log "instructor says today is poor vis... only 20-30 METERS" When I re-read that for the first time... after 10 months of diving in cold, dark, Cally waters, I nearly died! METERS!!!! :shakehead I promise to never complain about 30 meters of vis ever, ever, again! promise! :wink: Now, can I have some????:blinking:

Back
Top Bottom