Do you Lobster Dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't Lobster dive, but I do Crayfish dive. Over here that what rock lobsters are called. No claws on ours (fortunately).

PhotoTJ:
Does anyone know what the records are for lobsters? (Ideally with photos, of course!)

Largest Florida lobster I've heard documented is 14 1/4 pounds with a 24" head. Caught out of Wabasso florida. Biggest I've seen this year is a 9.9 lb out of Juno Beach and it was a monster. Florida does track fish records but not lobsters.

I know of two schools of thought:
Use a tickle stick to coax them out of their hiding places under rocks, then quickly grab them.
Stick you hand in along the top of the hole in the rocks it's hiding in, and then just grab it.

In NY I have ongoing argument with many divers who argue that tickle sticks are illegeal in NY. The way I read the law, it says no spears, gigs, gaffs, or other penetrating devices. A tickle stick is not a penetrating device.
However, some boats have boat policy of no tickle stick.

Of course those vicious claws are lightening fast and the size of a Toyota Hub Cap. At least that's what I tell my friends.

The bigger the lobster the older it is: and like people the older they are the slower they are. Oh but unlike people also stronger.

Why use a tools for Spineys are they fast or good at hiding?

Spineys are much faster than North American (claws)

PhotoTJ:
Hey, I posted this question on another board, Does anyone know what the records are for lobsters? Both clawed, and our two left-coast, right-coast spineys? (Ideally with photos, of course!)

The old legend of Lobzilla. Chopping divers in half with a single squeeze of the masher claw, moving at speeds of 20mph (backwards of course), and leaving prints on the bottom that frighten even the most seasoned diver. I am one of the fortunate few to have seen Lobzilla and lived to tell the tale....

Ha ha ha - OK all nonsense aside. I am not sure what the record lobster is but it's probably listed on the net somewhere.

I have seen a giant lobster just off the coast of Gloucester (MA) underneath the wreck of the Chester Poling. Fortunately I had a buddy with me to attest to the size of this thing. I spotted it on a night dive in 100' of water. The arms and body were the width of human shoulders with giant claws. I thought I was hallucinating it was so big. I literally moved my light away, blinked my eyes a few times, then shined the light back under the wreck. I could not believe it. I grabbed my buddy and signaled for large lobster. When he shined his light in he literally jumped. When we got to the surface he said it was so big he thought I was pointing out a human body.

One of those you would need to have seen it to believe it but it was by FAR the largest lobster I have ever seen, heard about, or read about. I have caught lobster that were well over the legal size limit here in Mass. Lobster with a carapace the size of a football requiring two hands to pick them up. This one was dramatically larger. The carapace was the size of a log. Just crazy awesome encounter with a rare (sized) lobster.

I went back the following night with a camera hoping it was still in the same spot but no luck. This time I had another buddy. As a joke we grabbed a small lobster and took a picture as though that was what we had really seen.

--Matt

For you New England guys, do you band the claws under water before you bag them, or do it on the boat/shore?

Henryville:
For you New England guys, do you band the claws under water before you bag them, or do it on the boat/shore?

I personally don't band them at any time but some people do. It is a good idea to prevent them from damaging one another while in transport.

--Matt

I band them on shore or boat. They do tend to try and pinch a thigh when in the catch bag but no legal size lobster could cause any real damage (well maybe to a finger). Largest I have seen yet was about 15 pounds (good guess) and I spent half a tank just looking at the thing, even at that size they are real monsters under water.

E-Rock:
I wanted to start a thread for all those into the sport of Lobster hunting. All welcome to share their experiences, particularly the differences between So Cal and Flordia bug hunting. I have been diving in So. Cal. for lobsters for almost 12 years now and I am always looking to expand my network of local dive buddies.... After all bug season is less than a month away! :icosm01:

Anyone interested in going out opening night in North County San Diego? Last year we held a contest for biggest bug. One of the local restraunts will cook it for you while you still have water in your ears.

They seem to have gotten smaller over the years. Ever see those vintage shots of SoCal divers holding up 20lb bugs?!

I had a question....Do you need a license to get lobsters or i should say permitt. Hope you don't....P.S. I'm also from So Cal!!!!

To answer the first question we don't hunt lobster here in Nova Scotia unless we want to surrender all our gear to the Crown and pay a $2000 fine. If the Lobster fishermen were to catch us first we'd pay with a load of SSG in the back.

The second question on size.
The largest I've encountered underwater was 17lb give or take a few oz. The Crusher claw was around 14" long x 10" wide x 4" thick. I've heard of divers who have seen them over 25lb and some claim that they saw lobster that was almost as long as the diver themselves. I won't say it's not impossible but I'll wait until I see one before I believe it.

I'm going to attach some photo's we took of some bugs in the 8-10 lb range.
Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom