Do you pay double just to support LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Critical items like regs, BC & tanks I buy local because I do want the back end support for these items.

I'm sure you're getting all the "back end support" they promised you.:D Ouch.

What I am saying is that I will HAPPILY pay for value (added). That doesn’t mean that every LDS provides value added but by choosing who I deal with yes I am willing to pay extra.

As has been noted in this thread the price is not always the price and I find that to be true most places, but buying dive gear is not a continuous process. If I spend a bunch of money on a BP and wing or new regs and then divide the purchase and maintenance costs by the number of times I use them, and maybe even add an enjoyment factor I find that it is not such an expensive hobby after all.

When I started diving I knew I was going to spend money at it. When I taught diving I told my students in the first class that if they didn’t buy their own gear they probably would be diver drop outs within a year or two.

I find that not having to stock my own repair parts, or maintain repair technician skills is something I don’t mind paying for. I like being able to try on my gear before I buy it and maybe even test dive something if I am on the edge. This is all LDS value added.

Even if internet sales allow returns it still means you have go through the hassle of cleaning, drying, re-packaging etc, to send it back and you have lost the time that it all takes.

I like being able to ask questions about things that I don’t understand with the new gear or about a class I haven’t taken or a skill I haven’t mastered yet.

Yes I will pay the LDS price because I understand what that money buys and finances and for the convenience it offers me. I want the people in the LDS to make a living wage and come to work with smiley faces and be nice to me, to advise me well, to service what they sell and to be there when I need them.

QUOTE=evad;5843228]I'm sure you're getting all the "back end support" they promised you.:D Ouch.[/QUOTE]

:mooner: :mooner:

$1200 for a Wisdom2? That's outrageous! I'll by one retail from my LDS and sell it to you for less than that. May not be $600 but at least your supporting an LDS.

My wife and I gladly pay higher prices at places the give us outstanding products and service -- no matter what industry.

It just happens that our LDS isn't one of those places. They are jerks, won't wait on you, not a good selection, prices are take it or leave it, and the "beware no warranty" and "where will you get your air" argument is typed on signs, laminated, and posted all over the store.

We want to shop there -- we enjoy being able to drive right down the street to look at, and purchase stuff. They've made it something I'd rather not do -- at any price.

As always YMMV -- you may have a good shop to use.

I have been pricing out gear at the LDS with places like leisure pro & have found some stuff to be twice the price at the LDS. For instance a Sherwood Wisdom 2 @ LDS was $1200, online store $600. Other stuff I have priced is the same way, I know service and warranty is easier if you buy local but at what cost. I feel bad not supporting the LDS but when you can buy twice as much gear somewhere else for the same cost, it is justifiable is it not?

I generally don't price shop. I know (gasp!).

If I go into a dive shop and see something I want and I can afford it, I'll just buy it. It's not going to be a mystery to me that I could probably buy the same thing for less by going online, that's a fact, a given. I already know I'm paying more than I could, I don't need to go verify it and find out just how much.

It comes down to affordability, if I can afford it, I'll make my decision based on it's right here in front of me, the guy behind the counter spent time helping me, he educated me, and I'm buying local to help a local business be in business and be there if I need him.

I know LDS aren't getting rich in this business. Their prices reflect what they need to sell retail for in order to keep the doors open and provide for their employees and themselves and their kids.

I find it a little unsettling when a week ago I was in there and looked at a BP/W combo that was on special and the owner said hmmm, that is a good deal. Then I go in this week and the same combo goes from $1400 to $2000. WTF, seems kind of shady to me!

It does sound like you've found yourself a dive shop that believes you, the customer, serves them and not the other way around. I'd stay away. far away. I like to believe most dive shops are not like this - though Scubaboarders do seem good at finding them :D

I guess maybe they thought that I know nothing and that I would pay whatever they said it is worth. I guess maybe that is why I do price shop, I don't mind paying a bit extra to stay local, but if they are going to take advantage of you it is too bad.

If I ever when the power ball and hundreds of millions of dollars I probably would not care what the LDS charge and buy there but as long as a dollar means a dollar Ill go where I can get the most value for the dollar.

Back
Top Bottom