Do you REALLY know how to scuba dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Practice makes perfect ... I practice a lot.

Bite me! :)

For the record, my DIR/GUE OW configuration has been bastardized by my replacing my SPG with my AI computer (yes, I use two computers).
Stroke

Fascist

Global Underwater Evangelist

:)

To me... The term "being able to swim" does not necessary mean one has to be a good swimmer cause dog paddling is swimming... I think it comes down to this, if you are able to break the surface and breath whenever you like, your swimming... if you can't, your not!

As kids, we all learn lessons the hard way... e.g. either pick you feet up or stub you toe! When I was two I was crying (as the story is told by my mom and dad) for a pepper cause my mom loved Jalapenos... Dad said, "give the boy one.. he wont want another!" Well, she gave me a small sample, as the story goes, I smacked my lips a couple of times, made a funny face, and have been eating them ever since...! Don't know how much is true but I have been eating hot peppers for as long as I can remember... just don't ask me what I had for lunch yesterday.... :)

Back to you question, I don't believe a person who dives 4-5 times a year for the past 20 years is technically a skilled diver... But is a diver who makes a living cleaning the bottoms of boats making maybe 1000 dives at 10-15' any better? Not to start an argument but what about the diver who qualifies as a DM but has never been outside a quarry...? Those are the ones that scare me...!

To your understanding, what is the ability to scuba? Buoyancy control? Trim? The ability to trouble-shoot? Being able to rescue someone? CAN you scuba dive?

What is quoted is (to me) makes a good diver... You have to be able to help yourself and you have to be able to help those in distress. If you can't, how can you be a reliable buddy? Knowing your limitation and expressing them to those of concern PRIOR to hitting the water is pretty important...! However, must I have perfect trim to be a good diver? I don't know but these are things I strive at each and every dive...

Back to you son... so next time you save his little behind and he starts to kick and scream... let him go! You will know when to snatch him out... Old school... many of us learned to swim that way... Don't wait to long or you will be mowing the lawn for several more years... :wink: Funny, I am always looking for a 14 year old to adopt just to get the lawn mowed...! My son never really understood the "penalty for being a kid" but I am sure one day he will look back and have a good chuckle...!!!

Best to you, lee

I'd say almost everyone who completes an open water course really knows how to scuba dive. Everything after that is refining their skills

Yes, but do they know how to dive safely??? If not, not only are they endangering them self but their buddy as well.... Its all in how you react to a problem and there are NO problem solving drills in OW or AOW from what I remember (PADI) and please don't bring up clearing your mask or sweeping around for your reg... That is the most trivial of problem solving! True, not rescue but some things would be good to see...

I know not to panic if my o-ring blows but does an FNG...? How about you line blows and which line...? If nothing more, things like this is either 101 or 102... A must for AOW! But that me...!

To me, anyone who has finished OW has the ability to get a tank filled and if they don't know what they are doing... at least those who don't have a C card should not be able to get a tank... which is safer?

No disrespect intended... lee

IMHO I think the key to being a good diver can be many things (some said before already) but one of the most important things is avoiding panic. It seems to me that if one can avoid panicking then they have done many things correctly including practicing, staying in shape mentally and physically, staying within their limits, knowing and maintaining their gear, and the list goes on and on in an effort to avoid the panic button if that makes sense. I guess a very few people may be able to handle panic like James Bond when the crap hits the fan without doing any of the things I mentioned but I am not one of them. I need to practice and all the rest to feel good about myself as a diver.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom