Do you remember?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you never know the exact moment that your buddy will grab your hose away...
...you won't get your hose grabbed... it is more likely that your buddy will get the regulator jammed into his chops.... but that is another issue...

If you read Jonnythan's post (or just think about it while sitting there breathing normally) you have a bit of juice left even after a normal exhalation... and you aren't going to die instantaneously even if you make the extra effort blow it all out just before giving up the regulator. Try it sitting there.... blow it all out and see how long you can last before you have to suck some in. How many seconds did you last before you passed out and they called 911?

Using the long hose you have your backup bungeed right under your chin and if you are the frantic type you can have it ready to cram into your mouth the moment you take your primary out. But folks who are more concerned about their air than their buddy make crappy dive partners. They dangle the long hose out there without looking to see how their buddy is doing whilst they fumble around trying to take care of themselves. I either correct that little issue or we don't dive together again. When Shane and I do the drill I don't even think about putting my backup into my mouth until I am sure he has my primary in his mouth and has it cleared. Shoot I don't have to worry... I've got air sitting right there under my chin for pete sake.

So to answer your question (after an unforgiveably long preamble):

Just breath normally... like you are right now.

I don't think I'll ever forget that first feeling of true bouyancy control. It was my third dive after certification in Cozumel. Yes...I did my checkouts in Coz! My first dive was a disaster. I was overweighted by about 8 lbs. and totally out of control. Add air, dump air...typical newbie bouyancy techniques. The DM finally removed some of my weights and literally took me by the hand so I wouldn't do more damage to the reef or myself. I was so embarrassed! At the end of the dive, I asked the DM to help me get properly weighted (the Instructor was the one who had weighted me to start with) to avoid the same thing again. He did and gave me some very important advice. Add two small 'puffs' of air to account for the weight of a full tank at the start of the dive and don't touch the inflator again until I needed to dump air as the tank got low. Keep my hands clasped in front of me and stop all body movement except fins kicks. Be calm and breath naturally. He also explained again about lung volume and how to use it. This is a different concept in open ocean vs. a 8ft pool!

The second dive was much better but on the third I finally got totally relaxed and quit fiddling with my gear. We were on Cedar Pass reef in a fair current. As a coral head was approaching I remembered what he said and took a deep breath....VOILA! Up and over I went. Exhaled and I was back at depth. Not only will I always remember that feeling, but I will remember the look Israel gave me and the handshake at depth that made me so proud of myself.

I still dive with Israel (with Caballito del Caribe) when we go to Cozumel. Three years later, the day I told him I had gotten my DM cert. and how much he had influenced that decision, he got tears in his eyes. I divemaster with the single hope that I can influence someones confidence in themselves as much as he did for me.

Gee whiz!
I am envious.
I've been at this for over three decades and I'm still seeking it.
I'm getting closer.
I've been a flight instructor since 1967 and I'm still trying to find perfect trim in the air, too.
Glad to know such things are out there.
Rick the imperfect :)

I wish I could remember my first neutral buoyancy experience. I would love to pass that along to my students. I've been wet since I could crawl. Swam in competition all my life & have been in SCUBA since I was 10. This is where a new instructor will excel over me. Passing along that type of info.

I remember the first time I realized what neutral really ment. It was during my advanced class, and my first wreck dive (not penetrating...but swimming around) . I remember being about 15ft off the deck of the ship (at 70ft) and looking down...started sinking, and took a breath, and I started ascending again!!! I was so excited, I stayed there for 10 more breaths just experimenting!! Of course, coming up, I forgot to dump some air, so I had the same problems I did before, but I knew what it felt like to actually be "neutral"...that was the day I really started enjoying diving!

Congrats Chad! Great feeling, isn't it!

Is there really such a state as neutrally boyant when diving OC?

Even with normal sized breaths, you are still talking a swing per breath of 2 kilos, which is a reasonable amount.

I generally tell people that it is akin to riding a bike - you are never actually in static balance, but wobbling about such that the average of your positions is in balance.

I guess I also tend to dive in the ocean with reasonable swell, so the actual depth that you are at is varying by a metre or more.

Personally, I don't have anything close to neutral boyancy... what I do have is a fairly good ability to stay at the depth I want, or change depth, as a subconscious process.

I can't do a mid water hover with eyes shut yet though...

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom