Do you think humble divers are usually safer divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yo Dr. Bill, a little too much info maybe. Besides, I think the wisdom was lost on the intended audiance.

I'm not sure that's the right word for the question. If you mean choosing between a diver who exudes quiet confidence and whose equipment choice, configuration, and deployment reflects a certain level of skill, then I would certainly tend to trust them over a cocky braggart, particularly if the guy turned out to be a putz with his dive gear.

But to choose someone as a quality dive buddy merely because they seem humble may not be a wise course. The humility might just be a sign of a lack of confidence, not what you look for in a dive buddy.

JohnF

Ok so perhaps I was a bit crass...

I'm not an expert diver (as many here understand), but I can recognize an experienced diver in the water - its the way they move and posture. Its really quite gracefull and powerfull. They have a calmness about them and you can sense thier mind is in the right place.

Too bad it cant always be seen on the surface. I've been burned by dive young dive buddies.:(

Well bmuise, I am one of the over 50 crowd and to be honest I tend to be a bit quiet most of the time. I have known for years that I learn more listening than talking. As far as my personal life I still tend to participate more than watch, in fact I have found one that really suits me so I'm gonna keep her. With her permission of course. I am sure that I'm not the most technical diver or even the strongest one but I do an acceptable job of staying out of trouble. As far as newbies go, I have been asked by dive boat operators many times to take newbies with me and show them a fun safe dive and I have never minded. I usually dont pay for the charter when I do it though so its ok. I usually buy a ticket as a solo diver and if needed I will be a guide. Age and tosterone seem to have an inverse reaction and thats probably what you are noticeing.
Bill

Ah MikeFerrara (and bmuise), there was jest and humor intended in my post (and truth as well). Perhaps too much info, but this nasty ageism issue is a red flag to those of us old geezers who are still virile... or more accurately, think of our buddies/partners needs in both activities mentioned!

Dr. Bill

Good question. I think a little humility goes a long way regardless of what you are doing.

Ironically, about four years ago a fellow member of my dive club, also named Tony Smith, died while diving off the North Carolina coast. Tony was a fun guy and a very experienced diver, but I would descibed him as anything but humble. I've often thought that his lack of humility contributed to his demise.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Yo Dr. Bill, a little too much info maybe. Besides, I think the wisdom was lost on the intended audiance.

And the "humble" part was missed on the author.:rolleyes:

Ah but bwerb, stating the opinions of others is a matter of fact/truth and therefore has nothing to do with humility. If I stated it as my opinion, humility would be out the window! Truth is truth. As to whether it was appropriate, now that is another question altogether!

I am always quick to tell people that despite my lengthy dive experience, I do not consider myself a great technical diver. I learn from everyone I dive with... even if the lesson is greater patience!

Dr. Bill

For the sake of keeping this discussion on the intended subject, and not letting it run wild, the definition of humble is having, or showing a consciouness of one's own defects.

Based on some of the statements made here it would certainly appear as though some may not know the meaning of the word humble.

I think being humble is a valuable quality that you would most certainly find in any good diver/ safe diver.

Quite frankly, I think it's very accurate to say that if one is not honest with oneself about their own abilities, and weaknesses (or if one is not humble) that person is most likely an accident looking for a place to happen.

"Splash"

Back
Top Bottom