Does A BP/Wing really push you face down at the surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tpsde2003

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
New Diver here looking to make my first gear purchase. I decided to investigate @ BP/W. Loved the feel, pack-ability, & versatility. I really don't like the restricted feel of a jacket. I visited several dive shops & received kudos for my choice at all but one. Other than the speech about it being "Tech Gear" he felt that at the surface the back inflate tended to push you face down. No one who used the gear themselves mentioned it. It seems to me that under full inflate it may exert minimal pressure forward if the center of gravity of the tank was centered on the wing. From what little have seen the C.O.G of the tank is lower than the center of lift of the wing, therefore balance the lift. Does this make sense? Since jacket BC's tend to make me lean back my guess is that a BP/W should make me float either vertical or maybe a little forward. As long as it would keep the wearers face out of the water in an unconscious diver scenario i'm OK with it. I would like to hear from the minions of BP/W users here who have helped me so far............................Thanks

I have never felt like my bp/wing has pushed me face down at the surface or in any direction for that matter.

There are a number of folks that have posted on SB that BP/W's and other types of back inflate BC's tend to push them a little forward at the surface. I have dove both jacket BC's as well as back inflate and compared to jacket BC's, they do push you forward a little but I don't see it as a real problem.

it's going to depend on your tank, exposure protection, body, and weight distribution. For example someone who wears a heavy wetsuit (lifting in the front) and a steel tank (pulling down in back) is likely to say it is not a problem. Someone in warm water using an aluminum tank and little exposure protection is more likely to say it is a problem.

I am using a back inflate not a BP/W and am in the 2nd category - warm water diver in a 1mm suit and AL80, and it was definitely an annoying problem for me a first until I fiddled with my weight distribution. There's still a bit more forward push than I would like but I don't dive with enough weight to do much more there.

It won't if the harness is correctly fitted and/or it isn't over-inflated.

When I am on the surface for extended period, I lay back on the wing... it acts as a great support and allows a very comfortable backwards resting position.

A BP/W holds you perfectly horizontal underwater. It is essential to use this device if you want to have good trim. When you reach the surface, the BP/W no longer functions in this manner and it holds you upright and comfortable with your head out of the water.. just the same as a well designed BC.

This should be intuitively obvious to anyone who has worn a PFD. In order to be supported at the surface in a safe position, you want all your bouyancy on your back. :D:D:D

. Other than the speech about it being "Tech Gear" he felt that at the surface the back inflate tended to push you face down. No one who used the gear themselves mentioned it. should make me float either vertical or maybe a little forward..... As long as it would keep the wearers face out of the water in an unconscious diver scenario i'm OK with it. I would like to hear from the minions of BP/W users here who have helped me so far............................Thanks

Borrow one and give it a try, cross and lock your ankles together and cross your arms.

... my guess is that a BP/W should make me float either vertical or maybe a little forward....
Yes, if the wing is too large and or you have overinflated it. The amount of air in your wing necessary to keep you head up at the surface is surprisingly small and many newer divers pump it up not realizing they only needed a small amount of air to maintain proper flotation.

Your LDS just wants you to buy what they stock, not "tech" gear that they don't.

Any BC can "push" you forward if your weights are high, the BC lift is way more than you need, and you over-inflate the weing at the surface.

Don't be scared away from gear by people who don't even know how to use it correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom