Does this seem like a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buying his used gear, assuming it fits and works well, may be a great idea. Or not. Obviously, he's not the person to give you an unbiased opinion on condition or value of the gear he's selling. Maybe you know someone else who dives and is experienced enough to take a look and give you an opinion? An instructor who's been using a set of gear heavily for years, especially if they've been using it in the pool, it could be pretty beat. Or, maybe he tries to swap out his gear like this every year so it doesn't get too beat and one lucky person each year gets a good deal. No way to guess.

Why would you like a ScubaPro BC and reg and computer? Especially if you are concerned about price? Scubapro is a good brand but you are paying partly for the name, and there are lots of other good brands. There is no reason for all your gear to be the same brand, and actually several reasons for it not to be. For one thing different companies, even if they carry a full line, tend to be better at certain types of gear than others. It's also very unlikely if you picked out the best BC, reg, etc. for yourself that they would all be the same brand. And while looks don't matter, if anything it could look a bit lame or maybe unknowledgable to look like an advertisement for one brand. An instructor may be wearing all Scubapro or whatever because they teach for a shop that sells it, gives them a deal, and wants them to wear it for the students to see and increase the chances they will buy it. It has nothing to do with it being the best gear for you or anyone.

The only reason i said scubapro is because that is the main brand my shop sells, and its what we used in class. now take for granted that i do live in Missouri and there are not a whole lot of shops around. The BC he is selling is the Classic Plus, the one with the built in safe second, and the reg is the MK25/s600. he wants 750.00 for both, is this decent? i know its expensive new, but he said that he does in fact switch out yearly so the students will see him in nice looking equipment. I also know it is used in the pool from time to time as well.

Once again thanks for the responses

I would suggest that you try to work something out with a local servicing shop. As for the notion of buying the instructors old gear so he can upgrade, that is a red flag.
:thumb: Better suggestion, thanks! I didn't complete my thot. I check with ScubaToys to see what they'll do, then ask my LDS to match the price - and they do.

My LDS does offer slightly used demo & training gear at discounted prices each year so they can replace with new, as does Scuba Toys I think. I see no problem with that.
The only reason i said scubapro is because that is the main brand my shop sells, and its what we used in class. now take for granted that i do live in Missouri and there are not a whole lot of shops around. The BC he is selling is the Classic Plus, the one with the built in safe second, and the reg is the MK25/s600. he wants 750.00 for both, is this decent? i know its expensive new, but he said that he does in fact switch out yearly so the students will see him in nice looking equipment. I also know it is used in the pool from time to time as well.

Once again thanks for the responses
I don't know. See what ScubaToys will do on a new rig and compare. The MK25 is a great reg tho...!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom