"Doing it Cheap" Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bit my tongue through the "Where can I buy a cheap liberal dive computer that will allow me to make 5 liveaboard dives per day" because the OP obviously had no clue that a dive computer doesn't prevent DCS. Cheap computers don't actually have an O2 algorithm, they have a timer, and if you dive a cheap computer on a liveaboard, you'll be out on O2 by the end of day 2.

For many divers, dive equipment is "Life Support", and they rely on it to be so. It's kinda funny when I poll divers who come on my boat. First, only about 5% know SB exists. Of that 5%, half are signed up, and maybe 10% actually post. We may think we're changing the world with discussions of life support equipment, and dive your training, and teach neutrally buoyant.

In reality, we don't really amount to a fart in a windstorm.

Frank, I agree 100%, but just throwing money at it isn't the solution either....

one of the classic phrases used around here: "a gear solution to a skills problem"

---------- Post added February 15th, 2014 at 10:39 AM ----------

Why should anyone care what I want?

If I want a Lexus instead of a Ford, what business is it of yours?

If a Ford suits you then have at it. I don't care.

Its not, nor should anyone care. OP says it does....

Last edited:
Why should anyone care what I want?

If I want a Lexus instead of a Ford, what business is it of yours?

If a Ford suits you then have at it. I don't care.

I don't care either but Pete would call the Ford driver cheap.

A couple of current threads have hit me -- Why do people want to "Do It Cheap" when it comes to scuba?
I believe the internet has created this focus on " the cheapest price wins ". Scubaboard serves a sound board for divers to brag about " How cheap I got it "

Let's face it, everyone likes a great Deal. The problem is when cheap doesn't equate to the best value. Or cheap crosses the line into being a bad deal.

Why would anyone want to spend more for something without a reasonable understanding of the added value they get for the added cost, especially when the correlation between added cost and value may be weak or even inverse?

That isn't the way I read it. I believe the point was that a person can get taken by buying cheap. I don't think he meant the person buying the Ford was cheap, unless of course the Ford turned out to be a lemon. Then who wins? Keep in mind the Lexus could be a POS too.

I think it is more of a buyer beware note. You don't always find the value you wanted when you bought the cheapest.

but does either choice automatically make you a better driver?

Let's face it, everyone likes a great Deal. The problem is when cheap doesn't equate to the best value. Or cheap crosses the line into being a bad deal.

That is only part of the problem (and probably the smaller part). There is also the problem of spending more for no more value. Just think of all the divers who spent $899 on a $579 Mk25/S600 regulator.

It's usually true that you get what you pay for ... but it's not always true. I used to dive with a guy who used chains for ankle weights, pieces of what looked like a mop handle for the strobe arm on his Nikonos camera and strobe, and dived in a drysuit that was mostly aquaseal and duct tape. All that was missing was a "Will dive for food" sign to complete the image
Retiredwillworkfordiving_edited-1.jpg

Why do you care what gear I buy? If I am a safe diver, I am a safe diver. If I want all SP gear then so be it. I think the idea was look for value, not cheap.
but does either choice make you a better driver?

Someone mentioned that education is key. Well, that's probably why new OW students can be, and are, taken advantage of and spend way too much money on gear. That, plus the "it's life support you're gonna die" message that's put out there is why diving is so expensive.

To me, much of the marketing and salesmanship is downright unethical. There's a big difference between buying quality but pricey gear and being cheated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom