"Doing it Cheap" Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which is exactly why I don't discount. The LOBs that discount get a whole different feel on them as soon as someone mentions price. The first person to mention price is the guy who thinks he got the deepest discount....

It depends for the reason of the discount. If you give a person a discount because they are a repeat customer or because they are available on short notice to fill out a cruise it is understandable.

It depends for the reason of the discount. If you give a person a discount because they are a repeat customer or because they are available on short notice to fill out a cruise it is understandable.

Yes, we do that. We don't advertise a trip at the regular price, get it 3/4 full, then discount to fill the boat. I don't think that's fair to the folks who paid full price. Repeat customers are often invited to take the open bunks because we like them. So, I guess it's either full price or free....

I didn't read the thread, so apologise if this is repetitive:

With regards training - every course issues the same card. It's the card that matters. So why not shop around on price?

Fixation on plastic cards.... ignorance of the variation in actual training (which is what matters).

I think that the OP's point is that price should not be the only factor in picking dive gear. I dove my first 3,000 dives on a Sherwood Oasis 2, a fairly mediocre regulator. By the time I was in St. Lucia teaching on it, I was rebuilding the first stage every 50-100 dives (about 2 weeks) and getting parts was a mutha in St. Lucia. I switched to an Atomic, and the difference in WOB and reliability was worth the $1250 to upgrade. What was wrong with my Sherwood? Nothing, I just flat wore it out. Now, the same Atomic has been to 330 feet, it also has 3,000 or so dives on it, and I've rebuilt the first stage exactly twice, and never the second stage. 99% of divers will never wear out a regulator, and if I'd bought a Mk 10B/G250B instead of the Sherwood, there is no doubt I'd be diving it today.

I am not exactly sure what you would have wore out on an Oasis since most of the first stage parts are replaceable. However you are doing it cheap also, the recommended Atomic service interval is 300 dives not 1,500. Why are you skimping on service?

I am not exactly sure what you would have wore out on an Oasis since most of the first stage parts are replaceable. However you are doing it cheap also, the recommended Atomic service interval is 300 dives not 1,500. Why are you skimping on service?

Because I am educated enough to know when my regs need service and when they don't. And, I always carry my trusty dive buddy so if it needs service right away, I have a spare... :)

So, I guess it's either full price or free....

Free is good.

---------- Post added February 15th, 2014 at 08:46 AM ----------

Because I am educated enough to know when my regs need service and when they don't. And, I always carry my trusty dive buddy so if it needs service right away, I have a spare... :)

I know you are educated enough, but you are still doing it cheap. I always carry an extra set of regs just in case of trouble and never needed them.

Always be wary when a salesman defines cheap...

Seeing as this is in basic scuba I assume we can leave off trimix discussion. This form of diving can be done cheap enough if the diver actually develops skill and keeps it simple instead of depending on equipment. In basic OW, it's only when you lack the capacity for self preservation or dive beyond your means that the gear becomes "life support".

It's a false discussion for me though, because it is based on a consumer model approach to diving - something I'm not into. I enjoy being more directly involved in the process and would rather make something than buy it. I would rather repair something than buy new; I would rather teach myself than be taught. I derive both value and enjoyment from the process.

[video=youtube;YGp5R-4m3Rw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGp5R-4m3Rw[/video]
[video=youtube;g1RSmIvAOEc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1RSmIvAOEc[/video]

Always be wary when a salesman defines cheap...

And, seeing as this is in basic scuba, this form of diving can be done cheap enough if the diver actually develops skill instead of depending on equipment. In basic OW, it's only when you lack the capacity for self preservation that the gear becomes "life support".

It's a false discussion for me though, because it is based on a consumer model approach to diving - something I'm not into. I enjoy being more directly involved in the process and would rather make something than buy it. I derive both value and enjoyment from the process.

How do you hook a drysuit inflator to a double hose reg?

How do you hook a drysuit inflator to a double hose reg?

If he has a Phoenix conversion there are low pressure ports, otherwise you carry a separate bottle for inflation. Also you can use the hookah port of some regulators like a DA Aquamaster.

Hookah port with an adapter. I usually just run one LP off it but can put a splitter on for more (the hoses look cluttered though). with my Mistral (no hookah) I run a small pony with a whip.

In the summer, wetsuit, no whips. With the hawaiian pack (made of brass) I don't even need weight using a Pinnacle Polar 7mm

Back
Top Bottom