"Doing it Cheap" Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you hook a drysuit inflator to a double hose reg?

There is a hookah port on most dh regulators for surface supplied air, it also provides LP air and can be used with a three way splitter. The only way to run a spg was off the tank valve or using a banjo bolt:

DSCF00132.jpg

Then of course there is the Phoenix conversion which provides three LP and three HP and one can still use the hookah, no shortage of ports or configurations then:

IMG_0560-1.jpg

Hmmm, I wonder what this might be, oh, I know what it is, an all brand new 21st Century double hose regulator called the Argonaut Kraken, that is right, it is not, NOT, vintage equipment, it is brand new:

fd764c12-7d6b-48d9-b326-222635a77c05_zpsf76e57ab.jpg

The only thing vintage in the pic above is my first regulator, a 1966 Calypso, the second is riding shotgun, something old for something new. I like that old regulator for an air share source.

N

If you find diving a $20 garage sale regulator then good for you. Dive it, but don't tell me what I find value in.

I got a MK5 with a very nice DIN connection for $20 !

I do not use sometimes older gear because it is cheap, I use it when I think it is better suited to the dive. The Conshelf XIV, SP109/MkV, ancient Jet Fins and on and on are just as good as anything you can get today, in some ways better. There is NO more durable regulator than the Conshelf. The later versions with all of the little improvements like anti-friction nylon tabs, silicone parts and Supreme versions are superior regulators, then and now. I would not feel under equipped for any dive with a well prepared Conshelf set regardless of how much I paid for it.

Nor is minimalism equal to cheap-ism. I have more equipment than most anybody of all types, about the only thing I do not have is a rebreather. I believe in the use of minimal equipment, I believe in me, not technology. I find my dives more fun and more fulfilling with the freedom afforded by the use of ONLY the equipment needed for a particular dive. And, while on the subject, anybody who claims to always use the same gear for every dive cannot be a practitioner of minimalism regardless of what they think, were told, or say. The minimal amount of gear needed for a particular dive varies with the dive, it's purpose, and of course the pink squashy part in the middle.

N

God this thread is just awful.
I can only see two possibilities.

a) This is some sort of attempt at bragging about how you have nicer things than most people.
b) "Why don't other people spend as much as I do on gear?!"

It's like you people have no concept of wealth. Most people can't afford scuba if their OW gear cost $2-3k.

I also think there are plenty of great performing options for just about every piece of equipment for very low prices if you are willing to hunt around and do research. Price is not highly correlated with better equipment.

Paying more for the same performance doesn't make me think you are rich, it makes me think you are dumb.

Why do you care what gear I have and dive with? If I buy what I want and it works and is serviced and in good condition, why would you care what I have? I don't care what you have, seriously.

---------- Post added February 15th, 2014 at 01:21 PM ----------

Good, I am glad you did. Sounds wonderful......for you.
I got a MK5 with a very nice DIN connection for $20 !

Why do you care what gear I have and dive with? If I buy what I want and it works and is serviced and in good condition, why would you care what I have? I don't care what you have, seriously.

I don't think anybody here really cares what YOU dive with (or drive). I believe the concern is that folks in general do not get taken in by the "cheap gear" / "life support" labels used by some to promoted retail sales of some fairly expensive gear with little or no understanding of the value of that gear in relation to other alternatives.

I looked at Lexus but opted for the Ford when I realized I could get two Fords for the price of one Lexus and I was only interested in reliable transportation. I also looked at a Scubapro original Pilot. Although I knew I could get two 109/156 for the price of a single Pilot, I opted for the Pilot. It is not so much the WHAT as the WHY.

Just asking, Scubastingray seems to think paying for performance is stupid. I don't care what he thinks, and he can dive 2 milk jugs and a straw for all I care. If somebody wants to buy a reg off craigslist and restore it, good for them. I don't have that desire. If they want to dive that reg from now until the day they can no longer dive it is fine with me. Sorry, I just don't take too well to somebody who calls other stupid, it rubs me the wrong way, especially when they know nothing about me.

I bought my SP MK25/A700 because I wanted and all metal second, I get bad dry mouth otherwise, I got a bonus and had some extra cash, I don't think that is a sin.

I don't own a lexus either. I have 2 ford products in my garage. I wouldn't own a Lexus, I find them to be over rated. I would like to drive an Audi Q5 TDI though.:wink:

I don't think anybody here really cares what YOU dive with (or drive). I believe the concern is that folks in general do not get taken in by the "cheap gear" / "life support" labels used by some to promoted retail sales of some fairly expensive gear with little or no understanding of the value of that gear in relation to other alternatives.

I looked at Lexus but opted for the Ford when I realized I could get two Fords for the price of one Lexus and I was only interested in reliable transportation. I also looked at a Scubapro original Pilot. Although I knew I could get two 109/156 for the price of a single Pilot, I opted for the Pilot. It is not so much the WHAT as the WHY.

Apparently some people spend more on a regulator than I spent on the tank, regulator, computer and wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom