"Doing it Cheap" Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're paying for the expensive one you really aren't paying for "quality" no matter what the marketing gurus will tell you. If you want to buy the brand name, that's a-okay with me, it's your money. Just don't do it believing that there is any significant quality difference and certainly don't do it thinking there is any safety difference.
You know what the call it when a marketer lies? Another good day at work.

As others have said, it's similar to cars. I drive a Honda... it works for me, I like it, and it does the job. My wife drives an Acura. Basically they are the same vehicle and provide the same function. One costs a premium though because of the name (and in cars, at least, a couple of nice features. Regs very rarely have any of those "nice features".)
A lot of times those features are even available on the lower "brand", making the only difference the stupid badging.
I know the toyota camry was this way for a while.

since I am an engineer rather than an economist, I'm struggling.... Buy a used regulator (no warranty), big deal, its a reputable name, and a long standing product line. Service it when needed, so I'm paying for parts and labor when it needs it (some of my regs are 3-4 years out), vs. free parts if I pay for the service on some fixed schedule (maybe yearly, maybe every two years).... hmmmmm can someone please show the difference I gain for paying 2x the cost for a piece of equipment new to get free (overpriced) parts? Now, the covert network seems to have access to parts..... I get them, and either service them myself, or have a tech do it for the cost of labor... hmmmmmm Where is this gone bad (except for the money grabbing industry)?????

Yes, cutting corners might bite you, but again, risk analysis (something engineers and accountants are familiar with)...... You go where you understand your choices. Anything else would be irresponsible or reckless. Again, educate and act. Don't just wing it....

since I am an engineer rather than an economist, I'm struggling.... Buy a used regulator (no warranty), big deal, its a reputable name, and a long standing product line. Service it when needed, so I'm paying for parts and labor when it needs it (some of my regs are 3-4 years out), vs. free parts if I pay for the service on some fixed schedule (maybe yearly, maybe every two years).... hmmmmm can someone please show the difference I gain for paying 2x the cost for a piece of equipment new to get free (overpriced) parts? Now, the covert network seems to have access to parts..... I get them, and either service them myself, or have a tech do it for the cost of labor... hmmmmmm Where is this gone bad (except for the money grabbing industry)?????

Yes, cutting corners might bite you, but again, risk analysis (something engineers and accountants are familiar with)...... You go where you understand your choices. Anything else would be irresponsible or reckless. Again, educate and act. Don't just wing it....

Knowledge is the key. Just buying cheap without knowing the difference between the two items is dangerous at best if you are talking about regs for example. I have been able to put together cheap reg sets from items purchased on ebay for as little as $40 but that does not make all $40 regs you find on ebay a good idea. Scubapro MK3 & R108HP w/SPG $40 but that does not include my time to rebuild them and about $3 in parts. These free parts for life offers are a gimmick, you are only saving a few bucks vs the additional price you pay for a new name brand reg that you will never break even on if you keep diving until you are 100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom