Doing It Wrong...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To Side track this thread for a min.

Some here in the GREAT State of TEXAS may find the use of "COWBOY MENTALITY" offensive. Those who truly understand would take being called or asso with the term "Cowboy" as a proper and respectfull compliment.

divemed06 once bubbled...
On a side note...has DIR or Non-DIR or anything in-between ever been scientifically studied. I'm talking about a good ol' prospective cohort study with a large sample size....if anyone is ready to fund a research like this...I'm your man (ahhh....going around the world and diving with DIR and non-DIR...7 days a week....nice.....):D Let me know if I can help:wink:

Nice gyrating Gibbon. Very fresh.

I can say gyrating Gibbon here, can't I?

k

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...

Where DIR gets controversial and where it gets associated with intolerance is when one of the other 10% start preaching to other divers and asking or even demanding that they change their core beliefs or be viewed as a stroke.

It's really nice to finally locate an apparently civilized conversation on this topic.

To me though, the question the above begs is should we not be seriously concerned about about a philosophy when 10% of its believers are patently unbalanced?

<knees together, hands over privates>

I truly believe that DIR has already progressed to a point where it will feature in the history of scuba, and in a good way, but Aquamaster has really hit a nail on the head here, IMO. For the good of diving in general, the 10% he refers to needs to be controlled, and effectively.

doole once bubbled...

It's really nice to finally locate an apparently civilized conversation on this topic.

To me though, the question the above begs is should we not be seriously concerned about about a philosophy when 10% of its believers are patently unbalanced?

<knees together, hands over privates>

I truly believe that DIR has already progressed to a point where it will feature in the history of scuba, and in a good way, but Aquamaster has really hit a nail on the head here, IMO. For the good of diving in general, the 10% he refers to needs to be controlled, and effectively.

First of all, the 10 percent figure is off the top of someone's head.

Secondly, control who? And how? Maybe we should control the folks who are still advocating deep air. Or fast ascents. Or --well, you pick the topic. It's called free speech. We're famous for that here in the States! Just look at rec.scuba .....

Everyone's got an opinion. If you don't like it, well, okay. Ignore it. Or respond to it.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...

Where DIR gets controversial and where it gets associated with intolerance is when one of the other 10% start preaching to other divers and asking or even demanding that they change their core beliefs or be viewed as a stroke.

This is exactly right on!

detroit diver once bubbled...

First of all, the 10 percent figure is off the top of someone's head.

Secondly, control who? And how? Maybe we should control the folks who are still advocating deep air. Or fast ascents. Or --well, you pick the topic. It's called free speech. We're famous for that here in the States! Just look at rec.scuba .....

Everyone's got an opinion. If you don't like it, well, okay. Ignore it. Or respond to it.

Geewhiz, I wonder which percentage group you are in?

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

Geewhiz, I wonder which percentage group you are in?

It's the percentage at the opposite end of the spectrum from you.

It's the percentage at the opposite end of the spectrum from you.

So, you don't believe in safety, having fun and enjoying life?

I thought that's what I did. Was there a point here?

As for what I meant by 'controlling' it, what I meant was (of course) controlling it in the same way we control other things; with our best intentions. I.E. we don't fill someone's tank if we don't believe they're certified. Nothing 'chilling' about it.

OK?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom