Donning Fins After Boat Exit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found myself first on a thread about teaching water entry with only options being backroll, and giant stride. Than I found myself on this thread about fins. And it seems only water entry anyone knows is with their rig on their backs. Why isn't anyone putting it on in the water? Not the fins, but the bcd. It was one of the basic skills we were taught, and that we are now teaching our beginners. It is almost an exclusive way we get in.

Basically our dives look like this:
1. put on wetsuit on shore (I do it in the water - much easier).
2. prepare your bcd
3. load everything on boat and go to location
4. put on weight belt, fins, computer, mask
5. jump in
6. dive leader, or appointed person opens the bcd valve, inflates it, and throws it in the water (if you are the dive leader, or last, you throw your tank in before putting on fins and jumping in after it)
7. you check the valve is completly open, and put it on. check stages, and dive.

As for fins. If you are properly weighted, which we make our beginners check when before they start, it will not kill you to jump in without fins. It may however be more difficult to put them on in the water, depending on the type. And if there are currents or waves, it is definitely not recommended. I wouldn't recommend it in any case, except for a very high jump.

We are often diving of a very crowded inflatable tube motorboat. And in case of currents or waves we can adjust accordingly.
it doesn't work for all situations. If we did that in the UK, we may no longer have kit. Standard procedure for a wreck dive here: pair or team jumps in one after the other, and immediately makes way to the shot line. You don't have time to have your kit thrown to you, and don it. It's get to the shot and make your way down because the next team is getting in position as the boat circles to make another drop.

Anyone have experience on boats where donning fins after you exit is allowed?

I know of one liveaboard where, although not "allowed" per se, they will have a good laugh at your expense.

[video=youtube;OqXusbLUfKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqXusbLUfKA[/video]

image88.jpg

In 1995 I dove with an operator Aruba if memory serves me correctly it was policy to jump off the boat w/o fins on. The water was calm w/o current, Shark Cage was the name of the site right off Baby Beach again if memory serves me well. Putting fins on in the water with spring straps is no great feat, but in rough water and strong currents not the best choice IMO.

Why put air in your bc before jumping in or back rolling? Aren't you going down? I am not going to waste all that great momentum by coming back to the surface to signal the boat crew that I have successfully entered the water. That's dumb but I realize that's how they teach nowadays. Weird.
Also, fins are donned at the gate from a figure 4 position while I let the gatekeeper fiddle with my tank valve ( which I do not really approve of either, but I hold my tongue ) :)

Why put air in your bc before jumping in or back rolling? Aren't you going down? I am not going to waste all that great momentum by coming back to the surface to signal the boat crew that I have successfully entered the water. That's dumb but I realize that's how they teach nowadays. Weird.

To swim to the shot line maybe? If we did a negative entry on any wreck in the UK, chances are, we would completely miss the wreck. Some places hot drops work, other places, they don't.

To swim to the shot line maybe? If we did a negative entry on any wreck in the UK, chances are, we would completely miss the wreck. Some places hot drops work, other places, they don't.

How'd they do it before they brought out BC's in the 1980's? I see your point though. On some of those deep wrecks where you're carrying a ton of equipment to support your dive plan.

I believe they like a diver on the surface to wait for his buddy and find out what necessary gear of his remains on the boat. I have had no problem with doing a negative entry, if I let the gate DM know what I am planning.

Bob
--------------------------------
I think that advocating unsafe and dangerous practices is both stupid and foolish. That is why I don't tell people to do what I do. Dsix36

How'd they do it before they brought out BC's in the 1980's? I see your point though. On some of those deep wrecks where you're carrying a ton of equipment to support your dive plan.

From the looks of this video, they still went down the shot
[video=youtube;z2UyEAQU53Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2UyEAQU53Y&list=PL527EBB77243080FC[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom