DOT tanks in Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClevelandDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone had problems getting air fills in Canada (Tobermory to be specific) with an old steel tank that was current, but only had the DOT stamping?

I am making a dive trip to Canada next month where we will be on the dive boat 8 hours each day doing 3-4 dives a day. The last 1-2 dives each day will be shallow. During the trip meeting we were told to bring 3-4 tanks each. My HP130s have DOT and TC stampings. However, my steel 72s have only DOT stampings. They were both VIPed and Hydroed this month.

The US and Canada are supposed to honour the systems but a friend of mine just had an issue with getting fills. I guess the owner thought he'd have an explosion for sure. (Our shop checked into it, this dude was a shop owner for three months. The good news is the location is not where you're going. I'm sure he's just an oddball about being level headed.)

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find some great shops.

I work at a dive shop in SK, Canada. I do hydros & vis inspetions. DOT is just fine, there should be no issues as long as your stamp dates & vis are current as you stated.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I really did not want to rent AL80s and and pack extra weight when my LP72s will get the job done.

ClevelandDiver:
Has anyone had problems getting air fills in Canada (Tobermory to be specific) with an old steel tank that was current, but only had the DOT stamping?

I am making a dive trip to Canada next month where we will be on the dive boat 8 hours each day doing 3-4 dives a day. The last 1-2 dives each day will be shallow. During the trip meeting we were told to bring 3-4 tanks each. My HP130s have DOT and TC stampings. However, my steel 72s have only DOT stampings. They were both VIPed and Hydroed this month.

I don't remember the exact date but the TC requirement (there was no unique standard) for NEW cylinders didn't come into play up until around 1993, so all tanks before that had to meet DOT or ICC requirements.
So any tank manufactured prior to this date DOT/ICC only is acceptable, after this date they are supposed to have a TC stamp.

I've been refused fills by a couple of shops for not having TC stamps on my 130s.

padiscubapro:
I don't remember the exact date but the TC requirement (there was no unique standard) for NEW cylinders didn't come into play up until around 1993, so all tanks before that had to meet DOT or ICC requirements.
So any tank manufactured prior to this date DOT/ICC only is acceptable, after this date they are supposed to have a TC stamp.

All DOT/CTC/ICC cylinders manufactured prior to January 1st 1991 are grandfathered and may be used in Canada (provided they have been requalified/hrdrod as per the DOT spec. All cylinders manufactured after this date to be legally filled must have the "TC" stamp and the service pressure in BAR.

The good/bad thing is that most dive shops do not realize this as all their training has been from American text books.

There is a provision in the regulations for having cylinders filled if its the nearest facility to a port of entry and you are returning to the US.

There also is no "Plus" rating on the service pressure of tanks manufactured after Jan 1st 1991 in Canada as they should be filling to the BAR rating which actually is a bit higher on the Faber and PST tanks. Once again try to explain this to some air station operators.

Hope this info helps

Mark L:
All DOT/CTC/ICC cylinders manufactured prior to January 1st 1991 are grandfathered and may be used in Canada (provided they have been requalified/hrdrod as per the DOT spec. All cylinders manufactured after this date to be legally filled must have the "TC" stamp and the service pressure in BAR.

The good/bad thing is that most dive shops do not realize this as all their training has been from American text books.

There is a provision in the regulations for having cylinders filled if its the nearest facility to a port of entry and you are returning to the US.

There also is no "Plus" rating on the service pressure of tanks manufactured after Jan 1st 1991 in Canada as they should be filling to the BAR rating which actually is a bit higher on the Faber and PST tanks. Once again try to explain this to some air station operators.

Hope this info helps

Thanks Mark. Any idea of where these regulations might be posted? I was thinking of printing up a copy to bring with me, just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom