Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived 32-36F in the smurf Atlas gloves - the gloves suffice for 15 min, but not much more (and I can handle cold). The loft on the smurf gloves compresses greatly. I recommend cutting it out (along the cuff) and wearing one (or more) liners, preferably something less compressible.

Next question what have you guys found worked for underneath the gloves for the different temps? I know this is personal but options are always good. FYI the coldest I've seen so far was 34 degree and I don't think I'll get much colder.

I use an army surplus wool glove and they've worked well for colder waters for me. I also use a Mountain Hardware glove when the water is warmer.

However, you need to make sure that your undergarments are adequate. No matter how warm of gloves you have, if your core is cold, your hands will be cold. However, if you have a warm core, the type of gloves can make a difference.

Totally agree with all the below.

I also use the same glove configurations. Wool (blend) for cold water, otherwise Mountain Hardware medium weight gloves.

Key is proper core and head warmth, otherwise the dry gloves can't do their magic.

I use an army surplus wool glove and they've worked well for colder waters for me. I also use a Mountain Hardware glove when the water is warmer.

However, you need to make sure that your undergarments are adequate. No matter how warm of gloves you have, if your core is cold, your hands will be cold. However, if you have a warm core, the type of gloves can make a difference.

I currently have the Viking Bayonet system but have to give it up. If you have big hands then they will not comfoprtably fit through the opening. I am switching to the SI Tech because they are slightly bigger than the Viking. If my hand was even a bit smaller there is no way I would change because the Viking system is awesome. Tomorrow will be the first dives on the SI Tech so I can only say that my hand will fit but have no experience with it otherwise.

Next question what have you guys found worked for underneath the gloves for the different temps? I know this is personal but options are always good. FYI the coldest I've seen so far was 34 degree and I don't think I'll get much colder.

Wool gloves bought in mountain equipment coop. Had a pinch hole in 37F water and only noticed that the glove was leaking when got out of the water. The glove was all wet but still kept the hands warm. The bottom time was about an hour.

I tried to put 2 layers of those gloves in 36F water and did not notice any difference between one layer and two except the loss of dexterity

Use wool or thinsulate, stay away from fleece - it does not work well when wet.

As it was mentioned the core temperature is critical. If your core is cold your hands will be cold even in dry gloves

Bob3 on this board is a Viking dealer with very good prices.

Bob is a great guy but he does not have Atlas gloves last time I checked which many people prefer. I would suggest getting the Viking ring set from Bob and buying the Atlas gloves seperatly (Redden Marine will do mail order).

Getting sizing is the Atlas gloves was bit of a pain. I found Atlas 495 mediums were just a bit larger than Atlas 660 large gloves. The 660s are less expensive since they come without a liner which I do not use anyway. So if the 660s fit I would go with them. Both the 495s and the 660s are triple dipped blue "smurf" gloves.

There are also thinner orange double dipped gloves which may provide greater dexterity with some sacrifice of durability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom