Dry Suit Confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CavernQT

Registered
Reaction score
Knowledgeable Scubaboard Divers I need your help!

Over the last four days I've been scouring the web for information on shell-type dry suits. I can't find any spec info. Even comparison tests by dive magazines just give tester's opinions after a single dive. I would like to find the "crash test" info on dry suits. Or at least people's opinions that own the suits and have dove them a lot. It seems that DUI is preferred in the U.S., but I haven't found hard evidence as to why. On the web, some of the Gates and Mobby's suits have appeal. Yet everyone seems to say, buy DUI. Are their suits just that much better? Or are they just better marketers? :confused:

I've dove in a DUI 50/50 and a Mobby's Armor Shell. There were things about both that I liked and disliked. I'm currently interested in the DUI 450, Mobby's Twin Shell Pro, and Gates VSN1100. Does anyone have any feedback about these models? Likes, dislikes, or problems? Or do you have a preference for another model? And why?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
CavernQT:)

CavernQT,

Ever look at a Bare Commercial Trilam? It's a great self-donning suit with rock boots and leg gators. Really made well.

The body has a system called ATR automatic torso recoil (or something like that). It's makes the suit easy to put on, but takes up the slack where you don't need it.

Comes with either latex or neoprene seals.

I got a Bare Trilam ATR Light. I couldn't be more pleased. I wear as little or as much warmth protection I need.

I also have a drysuit hood. I didn't bother with gloves as my hands have yet to get cold

You dive in Ottawa without gloves??? Just how much cold can you stand up there? I'm from Michigan, and anything below 30 ffw gets unbearable after a while.

(thats the new version of the commercial).

I'd love others opinions on that one as well. I have it, and its been quite a dry couple months with it. However, I find the self donning aspect rather a joke. When on, the suit fits quite well. But when I try to reach accross with the right arm to grab the zipper it bunches up just enough at the left shoulder so that i could never actually zip the thing myself. As well, when unzipping you can only take the zipper so high before you struggle like a beast to push it up the last few inches for the same reason. If its not completely unzipped, you're stuck in it because you cant get the right shoulder of the suit to slip off your shoulder. Needless to say, this thing isnt self donning for me at least.

That said, its still been a very dry suit, which is more than i can say for most people i've been out with who have various suits (abyss, viking mostly).

Next suit i buy (which i hope will be next year) is a black viking pro 1000. They just look so sweet.

Originally posted by detroit diver
You dive in Ottawa without gloves??? Just how much cold can you stand up there? I'm from Michigan, and anything below 30 ffw gets unbearable after a while.

I stand corrected -- I didn't bother with drysuit gloves. As was pointed out the zebra muscles are sharp little devils I do wear gloves. From late April to late September I wear thin "reef" gloves. if diving wrecks. Outside of that range I wear a thicker 5mm glove.

I'm not that silly.... about diving that is...:D

I will certainly admit that the zipper is not the easiest to do yourself. Those last couple of inches are tough. But I love the suit anyway. I think they're made extremely well, and are "reasonably" priced for what you get.

To all,

I am using the DUI FLX 50/50 and love it. I find b/c of the crushed neoprene bottom half I do not have to wear as much undergarment. I can self DON/DOFF. The suit I have has the SI-5 Dry glove system. This way you can go wet or dry hands in about a 15min changeover. I also love the rock boots. for one they tend to offer a lot more protection during your pre-dive activities ( little risk of damaging the suit) and second, they tend to keep almost all the air out of the foot/ankle area( no more floating feet). I'll admit the price is a little high on these, but the quality just seems a little more robust. The only thing I'd consider changing is having a Mobby's latex neck seal installed. Their latex seems to be able to withstand more abuse.

rc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom