Dry Suit Diving Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy I pm'd you about the p-valve just to refresh the topic in your mind.

You can get talc at many places. just make sure there is no perfumes or scents.

H2Andy:
also, for women, obviously they can't use a p-valve... so i guess they wear depends?
As the name suggests, it depends, do they want to go or not :wink:

Still learning myself on all these things, i might even join you in a dive some day Andy...

hey rick (GDI), thanks for a great class, man

i now remember you did cover the subject

here's a question (i'm asking in the forums so others can benefit):

when you store a dry suit, do you store it zipped up?

H2Andy:
When you store it, hang it out to dry or transport it, leave the zipper open, for two reasons, one is air flow - so it can dry, but the main one is so you dont damage the zip (its a stiff item and if jarred, banged etc could get damaged) and it wont work, costing a huge amount to replace. When its unzipped it is more flexible and less likely to break :wink:

great thread guys, as a new owner of my first drysuit, picked up some very good tips!!

H2Andy:
hey rick (GDI), thanks for a great class, man

i now remember you did cover the subject

here's a question (i'm asking in the forums so others can benefit):

I store and transport it with the zip open, but with the DUI top-zip closed. Closing the top zip takes the pressure off of the corners of the DS zip, as it sort of keeps the suit in shape.

---
Ken

well.. i found the fraying

it was pretty obvious once i knew what to look for. there were only a couple of
bad spots, so i singed them with a lighter

accidentaly, the rubber ignited, there was a rapid flash burn, and now i look like
Kojak.

(not really)

If you're looking, I love the under undergarments from this company:
http://www.icebreaker.com/
They're merino wool, so they don't absorb odors like synthetics, they insulate when wet, wick well, plus they're "green."

You're already in the suit, but I would have added don't use DUI's measurement tables to cut your seals. Can't comment on those from other manufacturers but would follow the same process to be safe. Start about three or four sizes smaller than they say you need, then gradually cut back to the point where you can stand the tightness in the water (they will feel tighter dry than wet.) I blew my entire first set of seals using the factory table and my wrist and neck measurements. (Anybody big want to buy a very lightly used set of zip-seals?)

henryville, you're quite right about the DUI measurement tables. i can't
remember the exact numbers, but what the book said was way wrong.

luckily, the guy cutting the seals for me (Greg at Extreme Exposure in High Springs)
knows what he is doing, so the day was saved.

also, i already have an undergarment (Diving Concepts Thinsulate Extreme) but
will possibly be looking for a lighter, summer undersuit, so that site looks good,
thanks

H2Andy:
henryville, you're quite right about the DUI measurement tables. i can't
remember the exact numbers, but what the book said was way wrong.

luckily, the guy cutting the seals for me (Greg at Extreme Exposure in High Springs)
knows what he is doing, so the day was saved.

also, i already have an undergarment (Diving Concepts Thinsulate Extreme) but
will possibly be looking for a lighter, summer undersuit, so that site looks good,
thanks

Hey Andy. I was recommending the merino for under thinsulate. I wear mine under my DUI 200g and 400g thinsulate jumpsuits. I don't think they have the loft to be useful as undergarments by themselves. The gas in the suit would be too mobile.

Back
Top Bottom