Dry Suit inflator hose Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If not, why would you bother with an Argon fill? Its not THAT much warmer than air is for inflation, and its considerably more expensive.

If you ARE diving Trimix, I'd think you know where to get the Argon :wink:

So are you saying air is good enough if I'm not diving Trimix?

OR...

It's not even worth the cost and trouble of having the second tank for the dry suit unless I'm diving Trimix?

grunzster:
So are you saying air is good enough if I'm not diving Trimix?

OR...

It's not even worth the cost and trouble of having the second tank for the dry suit unless I'm diving Trimix?

Well, kinda both and a bit more.

The entire reason to have the second tank for the suit, and to take the hit on the harness (yes, its not much, but its not zero either!) is because He has extremely high thermal conductivity, and if you inflate your suit with that, you will get a surprise!

Once you've already got the separate tank, if the Argon is cheap for the amount you need, you may as well use it, although I'm not so sure that it offers much improvement over air in the "side tank" even if you ARE diving Trimix.

When you look at this scientifically, the difference is about 10-15% maximum in terms of thermal conductivity. That's not zero, but its also not a lot.

Now if you are NOT diving Trimix, then why take the extra complexity? There's no good reason for it, IMHO. Further, you need TWO tanks of Argon really, one big one on the boat to purge your suit with, and the second to inflate with. If you're not going to purge the suit before you go underwater, you may as well not bother as the concentration won't be high enough to matter, and if you try to purge with a 6cf tank you'll get a second surprise (its not enough gas, really, for that.)

If you ARE diving Trimix, then its trickier. You already need the bottle, reg, etc. You may as well fill with Argon if its reasonably-priced where you got the Trimix. But if the Argon is expensive where you are, then you might try filling that inflation bottle with air and see if you can tell the difference and if its worth the extra coin.

Back
Top Bottom