Dry suit neck rash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had the same problem with my neck seal. I am slightly allergic to latex, but I also have actually felt it scraping my neck when I turned my head on a dive.

I have also heard that it will break down a neck seal more quickly. However, if it's causing you a lot of pain (as it was with me) as well as leaving a very bad mark for several days (as it was with me), the cost of replacing a neck seal a few dives early vs. pain and unsightliness was a no-brainer. I went with the bio seal. When I replace my dry suit, though, I will likely go with a neoprene neck seal.

I also got tired of trying to explain to my clients and coworkers that I wasn't into anything....kinky. :)

I think the concern about using a silicone based product is not that the neck seal would need to be replaced sooner, but that when the dry suit person went to replace your seals, they would find the silicone had also contaminated the suit itself, near/at the neck seal area. This can prevent the glues they use to attach the replacement seal from working, thus preventing a good attachment for the new seal. I would check with your individual DS manufactor to check about the specifics on your suit.

Back
Top Bottom