Dry Suit or Tanks

Next Big Purchase should be

• Tanks

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • Dry Suit

Votes: 100 89.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy the dry suit. Then get some steel 120's later. 80's are inexpensive but useless.

uspap:
Buy the dry suit. Then get some steel 120's later. 80's are inexpensive but useless.
:rolleyes:

Like I said, the drysuit seems better, but when it comes to buying tanks, figure out what you need or want and go with it. Oh, and every time someone blathers that AL80s are useless, an angel gets winged. :shakehead

(I've been on dives where a steel 120 would be just as pointless as one of those "that's not a knife... THAT's a knife" short swords people strap to their legs in case they ever need a splint... or have a cochon de lait during the surface interval. :D)

I was so cold in my wetsuit (anywhere I dove) that the Dry Suit was the best choice for me.

Cylinders are available everywhere, so I wanted to put my comfort first!

Happy Diving!:14:

Clay Jar
Talk about blather. What is your point? Would you rather have more air or less? I'll trade you my 80's for a 120 just tell me where to send them. I'm serious. I have 2 80's I'll trade for a 120. I am curious as to your logic. Do you really prefer an 80 to a 120?

I think Clay was trying to point out that diving a 120 is sometimes a pointless exercise in machismo. It would seem to me that in water which requires the use of a drysuit, temperature can sometimes scare you out of the water faster than the fact that you're anywhere near out of air in an AL80. (Dry does not always equal warm...for those who don't dive dry regularly...:wink: )

And as far as the OP...get the drysuit first!! So much more comfortable than diving wet...not to mention easier to get into and out of. And while it may not always keep you warm...it certainly keeps you warmER than diving wet in the same temperature water!

Cheers,
Austin

uspap:
Talk about blather. What is your point? Would you rather have more air or less? I'll trade you my 80's for a 120 just tell me where to send them. I'm serious. I have 2 80's I'll trade for a 120. I am curious as to your logic. Do you really prefer an 80 to a 120?
Most of my diving is shore diving, and I really like my larger-than-80 cylinders. There's no point, however, for me to bother with them on a dive off a boat with a bunch of brand new (or even not yet brand new) divers. An AL80 is more than ample gas for the profiles I'm diving with them.

AL80s might not be the best cylinders for all diving (far from it, in my opinion), but that hardly means they're never the best cylinders. It's far better for someone to decide *why* they'd rather buy something other than an AL80 than it is for yet another "AL80s stink!" to be announced.

(Oh, and although I don't have a 120 on me, if I did, there's no way I'd trade it for two AL80s. I've got all the 80s I'll need, although normally I give them to my buddy, who could almost use a 63 and still come out with more air than I. Of course, if they could do a dive on a 63, a 120 would get them two dives without a change. :wink:)

Like others has said, you can rent tanks. I have a Pst 130 and when I go on boat trips, with the 1 hr or less dive time. I can get 2 dives on my 130. $4 for air for two dives.

I see your point. I mostly shore dive and we all use 120's to max the photos. If I'm on a boat I bring the 120's. I've never had a problem. I will use 80's if everyone else is. I don't like having to adjust may weight up and down though and how bouyant they are after a dive. I actually saw a guy with a set of double 120's. That's crazy.
Anyway thanks for explaining.

uspap:
I actually saw a guy with a set of double 120's. That's crazy.
Hehe, last July, I saw a guy at a quarry with double HP130s. If there's such a thing as a 15fsw saturation dive at the jetties, I could do it in those. :D

(Of course, I'd need a backplate with the crawler option so I could fin on my back until I bottom out and then let the tank treads pull me back to the vehicle.)

Hmm. Some thoughts, just to be different from the crowd.

Do you currently dive wet? Do you currently own a wetsuit? Are you happy with the diving you're doing (wet) but like the idea of having a drysuit for enhanced comfort, etc.?

I own a good wetsuit and dove wet most of last year (here in SoCal), including all winter, and was happy to be diving. Because of that, for me, it was far better to buy tanks that could get me wet more than buy a drysuit and deal with the continuous hassle of renting tanks. (For those recommending renting tanks over owning, there really is NO comparison to the convenience of filling your tanks on your own timetable, keeping them at home, filled, and ready to go on a whim. Price be damned, there really is no comparison.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY happy to be diving dry now. But I'm glad I waited, because I know I would have less than half the number of dives I have over the past year if I had needed to rent. BUT: that's only because I CAN dive wet most of the year here in SoCal, and I own a good wetsuit, even if it does get cold.

If you do NOT own a wetsuit (your post didn't say), or, if it's really truly too cold in your area of NJ to dive wet in your wetsuit but you would if you had a drysuit, then I agree with the other posters that it's probably best to get the drysuit first. Renting a drysuit isn't worth it; it's way too expensive. If you have to go into the shop, I'd rather spend a few bucks on rental tanks than $50 or so on a rental drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom