Drysuit condom catheter sizing help & questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An update on Rochester Medical:
It took 3 emails, and 3 phone calls (none of which were answered) to hear back from them. They would NOT send out any samples. All they would do is send out a brochure with a measuring gauge. They also mentioned something about needing a prescription and then I'd have to contact a distributor, etc etc.
It totally sucked. At least I'll have a rough idea of what size to order.
You sucked looks only because you didn't read the thread.
In my post #19 you can find link to measuring gauge and also where you can order samples and 100 Wide Band for $114
Usually "Rochester Medical" doesn't work with private buyers, so you received the correct answer.

Last edited:
Hroark,

We have a special sizing tool in our shop called a Wadsunn. You stick your member in and the volume of the hum returned is directly related to the size inside the cavity. Kind of a Volume displacement measurement for your unit. Your shop may have one as well.!!!

Last edited:
I use the widebands, so cap and roll works well. I've found that with proper routing and care to not twist the tip, a little extra material on the tip does not affect the functioning of the pee valve.
I think this is my issue...there seems to be too much material on the tip (i.e. I don't "fit" well into the tip, as in it's like putting a baby thimble on a thumb :wink:) which leads to kinking of that spot. I also read somewhere that the barbed fitting should not penetrate into the tip of the cath...it needs to still be completely within the tube connector part, otherwise you won't get smooth flow. I just need to figure out the whole "care not to twist the top" and make sure that the tip can't be bent over or compressed when I'm in the prone position.

I think this is my issue...there seems to be too much material on the tip (i.e. I don't "fit" well into the tip, as in it's like putting a baby thimble on a thumb :wink:) which leads to kinking of that spot. I also read somewhere that the barbed fitting should not penetrate into the tip of the cath...it needs to still be completely within the tube connector part, otherwise you won't get smooth flow. I just need to figure out the whole "care not to twist the top" and make sure that the tip can't be bent over or compressed when I'm in the prone position.
Basically what I do is spit a little on the barb before attaching it to the Cath. This allows it to go on easier, for me. The barb does not go all the way into the way through into the larger tip area, just In the "hose tip" end. Then I put the cath on. Once on I just adjust my junk and twist the cath on barb the so there is no kinking/twisting. The spit lubes the cath on the barb enough to make it go on easier and allows me to spin it as needed. It does not affect the cath staying attached to the barb. HTH

Hroark,

We have a special sizing tool in our shop called a Watson. You stick your member in and the volume of the hum returned is directly related to the size inside the cavity. Kind of a Volume displacement measurement for your unit. Your shop may have one as well.!!!

I've seen that tool. It whines too much for my liking, and my unit would come out nicotine stained and smelling like Mt. Dew.

Ill just get the "Italian size" package.

So with this thread being in the Basic Scuba Discussions section, I wonder how many prospective new divers are reading this and going "Wait a minute...I have to wear WHAT just to go diving??" :D

I think this is my issue...there seems to be too much material on the tip (i.e. I don't "fit" well into the tip, as in it's like putting a baby thimble on a thumb :wink:) which leads to kinking of that spot. I also read somewhere that the barbed fitting should not penetrate into the tip of the cath...it needs to still be completely within the tube connector part, otherwise you won't get smooth flow.
I ran into the same problem with fit of the bulbous end and kinking, and my first solution was to cut some of the cath hose tip off to reduce the length before the barbed end of the p-valve hose met up with the bulb. That worked pretty well... until I cut it too short one day and ended up with a scratched urethra. Not recommended.

I went up a size and that seems to have greatly alleviated the issue. Considering going up one more size, but I may have hit the balancing point between the sizes and that may just cause leakage issues.

I thought I throw my .02 in. I also use the Rochester Wideband. I know there's a couple links in this thread already for online medical supply stores....I didn't click the links so if this is a duplicate sorry. Here's where I get mine:

WIDE BAND Condom Catheter | External Male Catheter DISCOUNT 36101, 36102, 36103, 36104, 36105.

You can order in quantities of one and they'll send a paper sizing tool. They also have a lot of free shipping deals.

There was some pretty good "average guy" advice that I read on a thread a long time ago.....most guys wear the medium (29mm) so this is a good starting point.

I will put mine on before leaving the house.......once it's on you really don't notice it. I do cut about a quarter of an inch from the end of the tip (the condom!) to help preventing it from folding over and kinking.

The grooming is very important.....it also seems to be all the rage these days.......Hey, the shorter the shrub the taller the tree.

The rochesters have some pretty serious adhesive, the very first time I tried one on for fit, I tried to remove it immediately........oops. I'm kinda cringing now thinking about it.

Most all of the threads that I read suggested a hot, hot shower to help loosen the adhesive.....this is good advice......IF there's a hot shower near by and you don't have several hours in a vehicle after your dive.

I've tried a few different things for easy removal, putting a little baby powder around the head as that where it really hurts to peel if you glued to the sensitive skin in this region. This will help but you have to be very careful to only powder the head otherwise you may have some unwanted slippage / seepage. I also had the "brilliant" idea to put a little bit of Neosporin on the head........DO NOT DO THIS! You will be diving semi-dry.

HOWEVER..... After I'm done diving and will not be applying another cath until after a shower, I squeeze a little Neosporin in the end and give it just a few minutes and the cath will pretty much slide right off.

Back
Top Bottom