drysuit gloves and wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finflipper49

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I live in MN and wanting to dive as soon as the ice is off the lakes. I use a 7mm farmerjohn wet suit and the first thing that gets cold are my hands using 5mm gloves and I was wondering if anybody has tried drysuit gloves with a wetsuit. Would they seal out water between glove and wetsuit? Do they make them for this purpose? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dry five gloves work well for this. They are all neoprene and can be used either wet or dry. With a wetsuit, I normally use them wet, but if you were to turn the seals inward they might seal around your wrist. They're actually designed to mate with the wrist seals of your drysuit though. I've dove them many times without any kind of vent between the gloves and the suit and have never been bothered by squeeze.

Another option might be to cut off the inner seal, turn it inside out so that it the smooth neoprene is facing inward and then glue it back to the outer seal. That would leave the smooth seal facing your wrist. The way these gloves work is the cuff is split into two seals and they form a sandwich around the drysuit wrist cuff.

They also make a 7 mm glove. They are warmer than a 5 mm. But I try to hold out for my 5mm or better yet my 3mm. Easier to work a camera.

I'd say a 7mm 3-finger mitt is darn near as warm as as drygloves with an EXCELLENT underglove and actally leaves you w/ greater dexterity. I've used these G1 Waterproof 7mm mitts as my backup winter gloves for 3 yrs now and have dove with them many times at 1-3C for 45 mins and more.
Most recently I used the mitts a month ago for a dive 54 mins at 2C and my fingers were a little cold but OK. I noticed in the parking lot that I actually seemed to have the least painful fingers of anyone there. And I was the only wet glove diver!

G1 7MM 3 FINGER SEMI-DRY | Waterproof Facing Reality

The Cruz gloves are an older model and on sale at a HUGE discount but I've has trouble with the seams on those passing a little too much water exchange after 50 dives or so. The G1s are really nice and exceptionally high quality although they do have a price to match.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom