DrySuit hood Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to wear a hood w/o a skirt because if I ever did have a runaway (stuck open) inflation valve, I can grab my neck seal and vent large amts of air instantly. If you have a bib and neck gaiter, you may not have this option. But if you wear large mittens for gloves, it may not matter anyway (I always use nimble 3mm gloves).

I'm considering the Waterproof 5mm or Bare 5or7mm?
I'm using the Waterproof 10mm for winter (3C-10C) diving, and the 7mm for summer (10C-15C) diving. Highly recommended, as long as your DS has a warm neck system to tuck the hood into.

I have been fine using the hood I originally got with my wetsuit with no problems. I am not sure which style I will get when I need a new hood.

The best hood I have used is Otto bay 12mm custom hood with no bib. It is on the expansive side, but it fit perfect and very warm

First thanks for the feedback. For those who have used a hood with out the bib, would you say there was an advantage or reason to go this direction (besides having the excess material).

For those who have used a hood with out the bib, would you say there was an advantage or reason to go this direction (besides having the excess material).
My DS has a fairly decent warm neck system. It'd be pretty difficult to stuff a large bib into the warm neck, so for that obvious reason I prefer a hood without a bib.

I like to wear a hood w/o a skirt because if I ever did have a runaway (stuck open) inflation valve, I can grab my neck seal and vent large amts of air instantly. If you have a bib and neck gaiter, you may not have this option. But if you wear large mittens for gloves, it may not matter anyway (I always use nimble 3mm gloves).

I believe a runaway (stuck open) inflator valve should be answered by disconnecting your inflator hose which you should be able to do in seconds. If you are unable to so, either practice more, put a collar or larger collar on the connector to help with grip or change your hose.

Pulling your neck seal has so many negatives.
Especially when there is a deco obligation.

Just saying. :)

I like to wear a hood w/o a skirt because if I ever did have a runaway (stuck open) inflation valve, I can grab my neck seal and vent large amts of air instantly.
There's no way I'm able to reach my neck seal quickly. Firstly, it's pretty well hidden behind the hood neck and the suit's warm neck to keep the cold seawater from transporting heat away from one of my most cold-sensitive places (old cold-weather tip: Keep your head and neck snuggly warm, because your body won't restrict blood flow to those areas), secondly, trying to stick a finger clad in 7mm neoprene inside the neck seal is... cumbersome. To say the least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom