Drysuit: Shell or Neoprene?

shell or neoprene

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha! I've had both. In my neoprene O'Neill, I overheated every dive, including having very little room to put anything on underneath the darn thing Furthermore, the roll-sleeves would flood if I wore it without hood/gloves. However, I was warm, exceptionally streamlined and generally pretty comfortable. Then I went to my USIA shell. I loved this suit when I first got it, easy to put on and off, much room to stack stuff underneath it and the seals never leaked. Then I managed to lose around 40lbs and that was the end of my perfect fitting suit. So now I am a lovely cold lady floating around in a rather large zip lock bag... and it makes me a little chilly. :)

Ordered my DUI custom cut TLS350 about 2 weeks ago, can't wait for it to get here. Of course, I blew out my knee a week later so it will be a couple of months before I can dive it.

What happens with a neoprene on depth? it looses its isolation value. so shell is the option for me

kjundvr:
For us drysuit divers out there it seemes that the never ending argument tends to be Shell or Neoprene. So what do you use? Along with that if you dive a neoprene suit what is the thickness of the neoprene?

I myself wear an apollo 4mm neoprene suit. My reasoning is rather simple.
1) cost: My suit only cost me $800us VS. over $1000 for a decent shell
2) Fit: I have tried several shell suits and to me they all feel like i was diving with a parachute. My neoprene fits like a glove and dives like a wetsuit.
3) Do not have to wear very much in the way of undergarments. I wear a pair of polar tech fleece pants and a fleece jacket and that is only if the water is below 52F otherwise pair of shorts and long sleeve shirt.

So what is every one else wearing and why?

I don't konw what to vote. My first one was trilam. My second one (the one I have now) is 4mm crushed neoprene. When I travel I borrow a trilam suit from teh shop because it's lighter. My current drysuit is pretty much on it's last season and my next one will be trilam again.

Personally, my opinion is that if the suit fits then there isn't much difference diving in one or the other. Most of the arguments you hear one way or the other look to me like they are based on experience with one and opinion about the other. Like every bit of gear, trying it to see what works for you is the only relavant advice...

As for the big differences ... The crushed neoprene suits are definitely more abuse-resistant but they're heavy and a little too bouyant for my liking. I also *really* like the combination of latex wrist seals and a neoprene neck seal. My next suit will have that.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom