Drysuit: Two options I face. Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Well,

The stock, bare bones TLS350 is $1899. I will be adding two Halcyon pockets, a balanced P-Valve, a custom cut suit, and my own set of boots, and I still won't approach that price.

In my case, I wasn't really worried about the name, I don't have any plans on re-selling my suit, and I don't care for zip-seals. If these things are important to you, then the DUI is probably going to be your best bet.

Unfotunately, no one's stock size, that I could find, would fit me. So the TLS350 was going to be $2650+. You're lucky that you fit something....
Yup. But for me, the suit I actually want is $1,795, not $1899 let alone $2650+, or else I wouldn't have posted. :D If you had to choose between two suit that fit you perfectly at the price points I'm looking at, what would your decision be?

I am not 100% enthralled withh zip seals, I should say. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the theory. In practice, they are way expensive, and perhaps more importantly, I've seen too may fail that seemed like they were constructed of too-flimsy latex compared to the non-zip seals of my current suit, which seem much more robust. Thinner for comfort? Perhaps, but the thick latex of my current suit doesn't bother me. Perhaps if DUI used heavier-duty zip seals they wouldn't fail as often.

OTOH, price considerations aside, if I ever do manage to blow a seal on a trip I am SCREWED. Zip seals may cost, but the repair is DONE 5 minutes later.

If there weren't tradeoffs, I would have no dilemma.

CompuDude:
OTOH, price considerations aside, if I ever do manage to blow a seal on a trip I am SCREWED. Zip seals may cost, but the repair is DONE 5 minutes later.

I am seriously thinking of carrying extra seals and some duct tape with me.If I rip a seal I cut it off and duct tape a new one on. Would not look pretty and would not dive the Doria like that but should work OK for a regular dive??

The shop I ordered my techniflex from had it priced at about $1333 for a stock sized techniflex with the exo 2 thermals and it comes with one pocket and a suit bag. Add another $75ish or so for a second pocket installed. Custom charges from this shop ranged from about $50-$150 depending on how many deviations from the stock size was needed.

You are the same size as me and I bought a ML Tall Bare trilam HD. Love the suit. That being said I don't know how anything stock from DUI will fit you. You would have a 40"+ waist.
I looked at DUI when I bought mine but nothing came close without a custom fit and I wasn't paying the extra on top of what I think is already crazy.

I'm the same size as the OP, 6'3", 185#. I have an XL DUI TLS350SE that I bought used, but I'm starting to consider upgrading sometime this year. I'm looking at the Bare line because my MLT Bare undergarment, and my MLT Bare Velocity 3/2 both fit me perfectly. So I'm looking at either the Bare Trilam HD, or the XCD2 Tech/Pro. Bare seems like it offers a lot more bang for the buck than DUI, and they have more stock sizes.

bdshort:
I'm the same size as the OP, 6'3", 185#. I have an XL DUI TLS350SE that I bought used, but I'm starting to consider upgrading sometime this year. I'm looking at the Bare line because my MLT Bare undergarment, and my MLT Bare Velocity 3/2 both fit me perfectly. So I'm looking at either the Bare Trilam HD, or the XCD2 Tech/Pro. Bare seems like it offers a lot more bang for the buck than DUI, and they have more stock sizes.
You might want to reconsider that. Read my OP:

"Bare Trilam HD in a Large-Tall which they will add 2" to for free then it should fit great."

In spite of what the charts say, I was specifically advised by the dealer a MLT would be too tight for me after discussing my measurements (what's your inseam, btw? Mine is 35"). It would fit, but because trilam materials have little to no stretch, you would not be able to do valve drills or have the general flexibility needed for safety in one. A wetsuit would not exhibit this issue.

crpntr133:
You are the same size as me and I bought a ML Tall Bare trilam HD. Love the suit. That being said I don't know how anything stock from DUI will fit you. You would have a 40"+ waist.
I looked at DUI when I bought mine but nothing came close without a custom fit and I wasn't paying the extra on top of what I think is already crazy.
All I know is that the DUI rental suit (stock Large) I tried on fit very nicely.

Just for fun, I now have an offer of barely used CLX450 with pockets and a p valve (and dry glove rings but no zip seals) for less than the cost of the new Bare suit. Oh, and the size? Stock large... slightly lengthened for a 6'3" original owner. :D

I'm leaning toward that route, because while it's expensive, if I decide I really need them I can always add zip seals down the road, since it's a DUI suit, and meanwhile the price is right.

CompuDude:
Bare Trilam HD in a Large-Tall which they will add 2" to for free then it should fit great.
Comes with 2 bellows pockets, rings + dry gloves (I'm happy with wet gloves, but it's free) and a free undergarment (that I don't need): $1,450

~ OR ~

DUI clx450 in a stock Large (which should fit me based on the rentals I tried on)
Comes with wrist and neck zip seals
2 bellows pockets, and a free undergarment (that I don't need)
for: $1,795

Both are brand new suits with warranty, etc.

Is the DUI worth the extra dough? I kinda think yes, based on resale value and the fact that in the long run, it's really not that much more costly, and zip seals are a tremendous option. But I'm not certain, so I thought I'd ask others for their opinions.

DUI. I've put 850 dives total on two DUI drysuits (TLS350 and CLx450) and have been impressed with their quality.

Worth the extra dough? I got my CLx450 for $850 (private sale, never been in the water). I don't know if I'd pay twice that much, but that's because I'm cheap!

A good fit is worth a lot, IMO, plus you're getting significant extras. Sounds like an excellent deal.

CompuDude:
Yup. But for me, the suit I actually want is $1,795, not $1899 let alone $2650+, or else I wouldn't have posted.
04.gif
If you had to choose between two suit that fit you perfectly at the price points I'm looking at, what would your decision be?

I am not 100% enthralled withh zip seals, I should say. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the theory. In practice, they are way expensive, and perhaps more importantly, I've seen too may fail that seemed like they were constructed of too-flimsy latex compared to the non-zip seals of my current suit, which seem much more robust. Thinner for comfort? Perhaps, but the thick latex of my current suit doesn't bother me. Perhaps if DUI used heavier-duty zip seals they wouldn't fail as often.

If there weren't tradeoffs, I would have no dilemma.

I've looked at DUI Zip Seals and have been very impressed with the marketing skill employed by DUI. "Fail-safe" thinking is highly overrated. :wink:

In 11 years of diving, I've never ripped a seal, never saw anyone else rip a seal unless they abused it or tried to get by with a rotten seal.

I use the thin latex DUI seals which are very comfortable and seal very well. I never worry about them failing. I take care of them. They last a long time.

I like your thinking on this purchase. Good luck!

Dave C

Is the XCD2 material stretchy? Maybe that would be a better fit in MLT than the Trilam. Even with my current drysuit, I can't reach my valve (and I've tried)... I can barely reach it while wearing my wetsuit, not sure if I can get a good enough grip on it to turn it though. I was also reading about USIA, which I think the LDS can sell, and those sound promising too, as even custom fit ones aren't terribly more expensive than stock.

IIRC, XCD2 is a compressed neoprene along the lines of the DUI cf200, so yes, it should be a lot more stretchy than any trilam suit.

Back
Top Bottom