Drysuit: Two options I face. Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
All I know is that the DUI rental suit (stock Large) I tried on fit very nicely.

Just for fun, I now have an offer of barely used CLX450 with pockets and a p valve (and dry glove rings but no zip seals) for less than the cost of the new Bare suit. Oh, and the size? Stock large... slightly lengthened for a 6'3" original owner.
04.gif

I'm leaning toward that route, because while it's expensive, if I decide I really need them I can always add zip seals down the road, since it's a DUI suit, and meanwhile the price is right.

BINGO! :) Congratulations!

Sounds just right.

What kind of dryglove rings? (I'm partial to SI TECH.)

Dave C

I take back the ML Tall with a 35" inseam. I am 32".

If you buy a new DUI you might want to check their web page sizing because you are going to be surprised.

dave4868:
BINGO! :) Congratulations!

Sounds just right.

What kind of dryglove rings? (I'm partial to SI TECH.)

Dave C
Apparently its the Skaana ring cuff system, supposedly exactly like Diving Concepts. Know anything about them? I've never had experience with any of them, so this will be new for me. I'll have to look them up... (that wasn't tough: http://www.skaana.com )

Oh, and yes, I've decided to go with this used CLX450. Thanks for the decision assistance, folks!

crpntr133:
I take back the ML Tall with a 35" inseam. I am 32".

If you buy a new DUI you might want to check their web page sizing because you are going to be surprised.
You're 6'3" with a 32" inseam?!?! Torso man lives! :wink:

I'm going with the used one, that ironically was customized for someone with my exact specs. That said, I'll say it again, regardless of what the DUI sizing chart says, the stock Large fit me quite well: I've actually worn one, which gives a way better answer than any table.

CompuDude:
Apparently its the Skaana ring cuff system, supposedly exactly like Diving Concepts. Know anything about them? I've never had experience with any of them, so this will be new for me. I'll have to look them up... (that wasn't tough: http://www.skaana.com )

First, although you said you don't have a problem with cold hands, I think you're going to love having warm hands on long, cold dives. Also, you'll have better dexterity than you would with 7mm neoprene.

Diving Concepts/Skaana has an excellent dryglove/ring system, arguably better and possibly more popular than the SI TECH system.

Here's the Diving Concepts image:

http://www.divingconcepts.com/link1.htm

SI TECH's page:

http://www.sitech.se/SI%20TECH%20RETAIL%20catalogue%20spring%202005.pdf

I've seen the DC/Skaana system in use and it works well.

The glove (with the permanently installed ring) snaps easily into the "suit" ring. (The suit ring is mounted temporarily on the latex wrist seal.)

After the dive, from what I saw, the gloves could be disengaged from the suit ring pretty easily, too.

I think the DC/Skaana system has a slightly smaller outside diameter, a slight plus if you're reaching into a hole for a bug.

Still, my preference is for SI TECH's ring system, based on the fact that the whole system can be removed from both the gloves and the suit within about 1 minute. Reinstallation takes about 5 minutes.

I like to remove my rings from the suit after diving to keep the seals cleaner and extend their life.

Plus, if a leak develops, being able to change the glove itself is a huge advantage, IMHO.

Also, I like to use different sized PVC gloves to accomodate different combinations of liners for different water temps, and the SI TECH ring can be removed and reinstalled in a different glove in few minutes. No glue needed.

My replacement gloves cost $6 a pair for the type that has somewhat narrower fingers, or about $20 a pair for the original fatter style with removable liners. (Seattle Marine).

I believe the DC/Skaana system has the glove ring permanently glued to the glove, at least that's what I've heard and that's how it appeared.

Also, the DC/Skaana suit ring is a bit more complicated to install, hence more likely to be left in place on the latex seal.

Can anyone tell me if they've tried to mount new gloves onto the DC/Skaana glove ring? I'm curious.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll find the DC/Skaana glove system excellent.

CompuDude:
Oh, and yes, I've decided to go with this used CLX450. Thanks for the decision assistance, folks!

Glad to help!

It's like shopping with someone else's money and having the excitement of a new purchase! Well, almost.... :)

So, thank you!

Dave C

CompuDude:
You're 6'3" with a 32" inseam?!?! Torso man lives! :wink:

I'm going with the used one, that ironically was customized for someone with my exact specs. That said, I'll say it again, regardless of what the DUI sizing chart says, the stock Large fit me quite well: I've actually worn one, which gives a way better answer than any table.

Yep, I'm a knuckle dragger.
Congrats on the suit. I think I would have gone with the used suit as well. Especially since you know that it will fit.

My wife and I both got the USIA techniflex's last summer and have enjoyed them so far.

She got boots attached, I got the socks. We use wetsuit gloves, our hands don't get cold but we are not really thrilled with the lack of dexterity, so may be exploring the dry suit glove thing shortly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom