Dumb & Dumber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeFL:
I drop the anchor in 70' of water, we start getting our kits together, and she realizes she left her regulator in her car. I remained very calm as I sweated my butt off hauling in that anchor

I just never want to haul that anchor unless I absolutely have to... maybe I should just get a winch. :wink:
No winch, no problem. Have the wench that forgot her gear haul up the anchor. (Sorry, but just couldn't resist).

My simple solution for never forgetting gear when at my Maui condo is to put the gear back in the gear bag as soon as it's dry. So my "checklist" is simply to take a look out on the lanai and see if anything is still out there. Shore dive gear like weights and torpedo float never leave the car.

For trips I use a checklist.

A couple of weeks ago, after a 50 min boat ride, I discovered that the spare bag (full set of eq.) we keep on all the boats is pretty good. And...AND...being 6'2" and 210lbs, I fit in a medium wetsuit...after a while...

hoosier:
I was a real dumb and dumber yesterday. :mad: I didn’t bring the fin so that I couldn’t dive. Even, my buddy couldn’t dive because of me.:banghead: It made me feel terrible because I ruined someone’s valuable time and schedule.:sorry19z: It also made me keep asking myself what is the matter with me. :crying2: I am still a real newbie in this world.

Have you had any same experience as mine? I hope not.

It can happen to anyone. A checklist is a good idea. I use a mental checklist unless I am doing something unusual - i.e. weekend trip vs. day trip. Once everything is loaded into the truck I gear up mentally to verify. Thermals?...Check, Drysuit?...Check, Hood?....Check, etc.

This is also why Solo diving is so attractive. If someone forgets a critical piece of gear - no sense in ruining the trip for everyone.

--Matt

A real "hardcore" diver would have improvised with a couple of pieces of 2"x6" and a lot of duct tape.....hmmmmm, if by any chance they start selling duct tape & lenghths of 2"x6" at the LDS you saw it here first.

How can you forget anything. You look in your scuba room and if anything is still hanging up or sitting on a shelf when you are done packing, you open the bag and put it in.
So luckly I have a drain in the corner of my basement and can rinse my gear and hang it right there so it all dries in the same area. But it is helpful when packing.

Begin - BC & BC pockets (clip back on after rinsing)
With - weights, weight belt - and - wetsuit, hood or beanie, gloves
Review - regulators & computer (Yep, husband got on a boat without the computer. Also, the logbook & c-card were in the reg bag back at the campsite.)
And - air tank
Friend - fins, mask, snorkel, boots, which are all in the snorkel bag

I tend to do the rinsing, storing and transporting duties for four people, and have left my swimsuit behind. Went diving, though :wink:

I forgot my fins once. While I was loading the boat I was sent on a mission to track down some kids. When I found the kids and returned to the boat I forgot to pack my fins. I got out to the site and realized what I had done. What can you do. I sat there on the boat and manned it. Luckily one of my buddies with the same fin size came up after 15 minutes not feeling well. He gave me his fins and decided to stay on the boat so I could atleast go out and dive. I'm sure I'll forget something again, nature of the game.

Matt

Corigan:
I forgot my fins once. ... What can you do. I sat there on the boat and manned it.
Or you and your buddy can do a dive with one fin each :wink:

A couple shots from Cozumel. Dangling console and BCD/drysuit inflator are optional. And yes, the woman in the far background of the 2nd shot also has only 1 fin. She had only one leg and the two guys figured that if she could dive with 1 fin, they should be able to also.

I once had to do a DM mapping project at a local quarry.

My dive buddy and I are quite experienced divers and yet my dive buddy forgot to bring a hood (a requirement in the quarry given the cold temperatures).

It was frustrating for me knowing that my dive buddy knows better than to come ill prepared. It really wastes time and energy.

I always check and recheck gear before I do diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom