Eagerly awaiting my Atomic Cobalt computer ... and interested in opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be interested in any cons, so that I'm warned up front.

I guess I really like the idea of a computer that's intuitive to use, because it should lessen the likelihood of mistakes. As far as I'm concerned that's what diving's all about ... not making mistakes! [And getting good pictures :)]

Osric

Cons: I'd be interested to know how durable that pretty screen is. I'm not solid enough on OLED technology to know how bulletproof it is, so any new technology applications draws my concern.

Dive Computer Envy from other divers??

Peace,
Greg

I don't own this computer, but my OLED screen has been going strong for nearly 3 years of reef, research & wreck penetration diving so far.

Atomic thus far has proven itself to be the 3M of the diving world (i.e. everything they make is excellent) so I'm sure you made a wise choice. In playing around with it at an LDS I thought it looked awesome and seemed very intuitive. I think my next comp will be a wrist-mounted one, but if I was gonna get a console style computer, the Atomic would be the one I'd get.

Indeed my dive shop tried to steer me towards a wrist computer but though I originally lusted after the Suunto D9, trying it on once showed me how huge it was on my relatively small wrist. Plus I don't totally trust wireless integration (though I realize it works great for many) and that makes me want a console. We'll see if I change my mind in a few years!

Osric

OLED isn't new, just new to scuba. The screen is amazing and very durable. I first saw this a few weeks before they came out (Thanks Atomic!!!) and have to say, that I don't NEED a new dive computer, but I definately have to HAVE this new dive computer.

I think that I mostly like the way the buttons operate. I'm going to reveal my level of "guy-ism" and age here when I admit I love the fact that it works almost exactly like my DVR remote! :D

I know, a lame reason to love the computer, but you have to start someplace! honestly, though, all the features bundled into this thing make it the perfect choice to carry the Atomic name.

Our local dive shop has this (and for around $1000, too). I loved it when I saw it, but have two wireless right now, and have truthfully grown used to have a wireless setup on my wrist.

But I freely admit this instrument is a thing of beauty, and easy to use. Those worried about wireless shouldn't (although you have two batteries to worry about). This unit uses a rechargeable battery, which is very nice.

Curious about the user friendliness and accuracy of the digital compass on this model; I've seen folks trying to use them on other models (Suunto, Oceanic) and they either didn't hold a bearing accurately or they were so sensitive they drove the diver bananas trying to stay on track. Anyone reading this have experience using the compass, outside of playing with it in a dive shop?

Curious about the user friendliness and accuracy of the digital compass on this model; I've seen folks trying to use them on other models (Suunto, Oceanic) and they either didn't hold a bearing accurately or they were so sensitive they drove the diver bananas trying to stay on track. Anyone reading this have experience using the compass, outside of playing with it in a dive shop?

Aaron- here's the text of a post I made to another thread responding to a similar question:

Initially we were going to market the Cobalt with an analog compass. But over the last few years digital compasses improved so much in size, price, and performance (coupled with accelerometers for positioning) that we felt in the end the digital compass provided better performance with much less bulk. We get to piggyback on the technology developed for smart phones, etc.

Digital compasses like the one in the Cobalt are not super accurate- 5° or so is about what you can expect. A good analog compass might be more accurate- if you could hold it that steady and read it while diving. On the other hand, an analog compass must be held fairly level, and the Cobalt compass will read accurately upside-down, sideways, in any position except pointed straight up or down. That has benefits for diving. Earlier digital compasses were not tilt compensated and had the be held very level- that made them difficult to use and is probably responsible for some of the negative buzz re. the digital compass.

We deliberately made the Cobalt compass display http://www.atomicaquatics.com/AtomicCobalt/DiveCompEAN.html look and work like an analog compass card. The display is dampened, as an analog compass would be. This may make it seem slow to respond on the surface, but divers have told us that underwater it is about right. Setting a bearing is done electronically, but works just as on an analog compass. I'd say the biggest differences are that the digital compass works in any position, takes up less space, and can be turned on or off at will. In our field testing the compass was one of the things that got the most positive comments.

This freakin computer is absolutely AMAZING! Not only is it a great dive computer, but the first morning after I bought it, when I woke up, it had made me breakfast! The bacon wasn't too done and my eggs were soft scrambled just like I like them. My coffee had two sugars and no cream and somehow it knew I liked biscuits instead of toast.

Finally, when the damn thing brought me my morning paper and began to massage my feet, I kicked the wife out! Who needs a stinkin wife when you can have a Cobalt instead? :D

OK Look. I don't actually have one yet but I'm getting one. I hope my expectations aren't unrealistic.

Back
Top Bottom