Eagerly awaiting my Atomic Cobalt computer ... and interested in opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought one for my wife for her birthday. Even though I am a die-hard wrist guy I have serious envy of her gear now. The thing is just superb. My only complaint is that the compass dampening seems to be a little too heavy and I can't find a way to adjust it. Otherwise, it's just simply amazing.

This freakin computer is absolutely AMAZING! Not only is it a great dive computer, but the first morning after I bought it, when I woke up, it had made me breakfast! The bacon wasn't too done and my eggs were soft scrambled just like I like them. My coffee had two sugars and no cream and somehow it knew I liked biscuits instead of toast.

Finally, when the damn thing brought me my morning paper and began to massage my feet, I kicked the wife out! Who needs a stinkin wife when you can have a Cobalt instead? :D

OK Look. I don't actually have one yet but I'm getting one. I hope my expectations aren't unrealistic.

Your computer is not as good as mine. My dive computer scratches my shorts for me when I wake up in the morning. I have long divorced my wife since I got this computer. Perhaps your computer would need a firmware upgrade to do the things my computer does.

Your computer is not as good as mine. My dive computer scratches my shorts for me when I wake up in the morning.

Well, there's probably only one thing we have left out and I suppose they'll have a computer that will do that one day as well. :D

Well, there's probably only one thing we have left out and I suppose they'll have a computer that will do that one day as well. :D

That will be in the hoseless version I'll bet.

So I have now had this with me on a dive trip, for 7 dives.

My experience (pros):

- dead easy to use (and this is the main reason I went for this computer)
- excellent dive planner
- easy to read in the water
- all displayed information obvious
- lots of memory for dive profile records (have mine set to every 5s)

Cons:

- audible alarm wasn't very audible (an Atomic representative says they may address in a firmware update; I hope so)
- screen needed to have brightness cranked in sunlight (I generally keep it on min brightness)
- on my model, the 'down' button is a bit finicky. Atomic would most likely treat this as a warranty issue but I can't quite decide if it's my device or just me. I have definitely gotten much better with it since first using the computer, so could be just me.

Overall I love it, don't think I'll ever need another computer.

Osric

Overall I love it, don't think I'll ever need another computer.

Osric

Famous last words, just wait until BDSC's version of the dive computer comes out :D

Have fun with it and lots of safe diving!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom