Earthquake During a Scuba Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Living here in S. Cal for the past 15 years, I've often wondered what it would be like or if you could even feel an earthquake during a dive. Thanks for sharing!

This may be far fetched, but since pressure waves are more dangerous to a human underwater than on land, I wonder if an earthquake could ever become lethal to a diver if they were close enough to the source (epicenter?) or if it was of a really high magniude (minus debris falling on you). Granted i'm no expert and also know nothing about earthquakes... but I remember mythbusters testing a similiar theory using dynamite underwater to create a wave to surf on. They used a MASSIVE amount of dynamite to only create a small ripple, and they came to the conclusion that the pressure waves would have killed anyone within X radius of the blast (fairly large radius). ... Since Jamie is an avid diver and from a state notorious for quakes... I think he has a new myth to test!

+1 for earthquake dive, a couple decades ago.

Sharply sloping silt bottom off a fishing beach, south coast, Jamaica. Lots of pots, ropes and some anchored boats. At about 50', I saw a line of disturbed silt and thought that it was a rope being dragged. On closer inspection, there was no rope and the silt appeared to be disappearing into a crack. Had no idea what was happening until I had gotten back to shore.

Can't say that I noticed any noise/rumble. Probably too excited and confused by what I was seeing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom