Earthquake During a Scuba Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't kid yourself about no earthquakes in and around Florida.

I'm not kidding about not being concerned about earthquakes in Florida, because if there's any state in which you don't need to be concerned about earthquakes, Florida is it (along with North Dakota). Nobody's saying it's absolutely utterly impossible, just that it's not worth any concern here.

From Wikipedia:

Florida is tied for last place as having the fewest earthquakes of any US state. Because Florida is not located near any tectonic plate boundaries, earthquakes are very rare, but not totally unknown. In January, 1879, a shock occurred near St. Augustine. There were reports of heavy shaking that knocked plaster from walls and articles from shelves. Similar effects were noted at Daytona Beach 50 miles (80 km) south. The tremor was felt as far south as Tampa and as far north as Savannah, Georgia. In January 1880, Cuba was the center of two strong earthquakes that sent severe shock waves through the city of Key West, Florida. Another earthquake centered outside Florida was the 1886 Charleston earthquake. The shock was felt throughout northern Florida, ringing church bells at St. Augustine and severely jolting other towns along that section of Florida's east coast. Jacksonville residents felt many of the strong aftershocks that occurred in September, October, and November 1886. As recently as 2006, a magnitude 6.0 earthquake centered about 260 miles (420 km) southwest of Tampa in the Gulf of Mexico sent shock waves through southwest and central Florida. The earthquake was too small to trigger a tsunami and no damage was reported.

In sharp contrast, New Madrid MO and the surrounding area is located directly on a fault line...

I'll take our infrequent tremors over your huricanes any day. :wink:

You are(or @ least can be anyway)....Read this linked article & google diving during a tsunami....

American scuba diver underwater during tsunami - Democratic Underground
We were finishing our Fundies class performing drills at the Breakwater. I was in the middle of my valve drill and doing a great job of not sculling at all, but we wound up 30 ft off the line. After completing our course for the day we surface to NOBODY in the water. In fact they had cleared the wall of all vehicles and our friends then informed us there was a tsunami warning.

We were in about 40 ft. of water and I thought it was a plane flying low over us to land (we live on & dive right off the air base) or a boat going over even tho there is not usually any boats that close to shore. It was a 5 & 6 if I remember correctly. I didn't think anything of it but my husband wanted to abort cause he thought earthquake. I thought he was crazy :D once back on shore, we started calling around and confirmed it was a quake. We heard and felt it. It felt like a hard rumble in my chest. I can't remember how close the epicenter was tho. Not terribly far away, maybe 3-5 miles.

While not an earth quake, whilst diving off of Mabul Island. Malaysia, we were diving about a mile or so from where someone was dynomite fishing. The blast was sudden, the sound very loud & the shock wave hit & went through your entire body. It was not a pleasant sensation at all. No one in our group was hurt, but it shook us all up pretty good.

Check out post #23 in this thread about an underwater landslide that might have been precipitated by an earthquake two days earlier.

for those of you in america that have comcast (xfinity) there's a show on demand on the History channel called Underwater Universe covers the whole subject of diving and earthquakes/tsunami's I just came across it while browsing the on demand stuff, its pretty interesting, just wanted to share

I was on my 12m stop on the Coolidge in Espiritu Santo when an earthquake struck. Sounded like a big boat going overhead and a bunch of sand and dead coral rolled down the slope. Glad we weren't in the wreck - I would probably have pooped myself. There were aftershocks that night back at the hotel and we ended up spending a while under the door frames .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom